What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring iPhone to new laptop

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting a new laptop and want to try and backup as much as I can of my iPhone before my laptop goes away.. I have transferred purchases onto another laptop that I will be keeping, but it is not mine. Is it possible to back up contacts onto a external hard drive.. I have backed up everything such as photos and music.

If anyone has any tips please let me know.. Also does anyone know will my game progress be saved when I have transferred purchases?

Thank you in advance.. Btw I'm a new member but have been browsing as a guest the past week and love the site!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I have done successfully in the past. Get an external hard drive (they are cheap now), make a bootable clone of your existing hard drive, when your new lap top arrives connect it to your new computer and transfer whatever is required by booting from the external hard drive or copy the bootable clone onto your new computer so that you can dual boot.

This way, whatever happens you have a bootable back up of where you are right now that you can use for your iPhone or any other purpose.

Others may have better suggestions.

The Archangel

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I have done successfully in the past. Get an external hard drive (they are cheap now), make a bootable clone of your existing hard drive, when your new lap top arrives connect it to your new computer and transfer whatever is required by booting from the external hard drive or copy the bootable clone onto your new computer so that you can dual boot.

This way, whatever happens you have a bootable back up of where you are right now that you can use for your iPhone or any other purpose.

Others may have better suggestions.

The Archangel

thank you for your reply

I'am sorry but this sounds way to technical for me :/ i do have an external hard drive.. but i don't know what a bootable clone is or how i would go about doing it.. is it very complicated?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not very complicated.....but of course that may depend on the OS you are using on your current laptop?

The Archangel

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not very complicated.....but of course that may depend on the OS you are using on your current laptop?

The Archangel

Operating system? That would be windows vista

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well windows is outside my area of expertise but hopefully someone else will be along soon who can help you with this.

The Archangel

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks anyway! :)

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a look, but it just looks like in going to loss all my progress in games and stuff :(

xmsite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can learn to transfer and restore to your pc from this :yourdevice.ro/2012/how-to-transfer-music-on-itunes/. Good luck!

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can learn to transfer and restore to your pc from this :yourdevice.ro/2012/how-to-transfer-music-on-itunes/. Good luck!

Thank but I'm not using a mac, and it's not really the music that's the problem.. I know how to transfer it, it's everything else really

Most reactions

Latest posts