What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring Apps With iCloud - Does It Work?

billwill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My niece wants to buy my iPad3; I'm seriously thinking about selling it to her and buying an iPad Air.

Question: Can I transfer ALL the apps on my iPad3 using iCloud or will some apps not transfer? And if it will work, how do I make sure I do it properly?

Thanks for your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The apps are connected to your Apple ID. When you sign in with the one you use on your current device, you'll be able to download them again.

iCloud will remember your settings and the data you chose to back up, and install the apps that are installed on this device on your new iPad, when you restore from an iCloud backup. Your homescreen will look exactly the same as now when you backup your device to iCloud before you erase all content and settings.

First of all, backup your device to iCloud.
That done, delete your iCloud account. You'll have to enter your iCloud password to get this done, if your software is up to date. Afterwards, go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all content and settings.

Then you can give your device to your niece. She shouldn't have any problems setting it up. You can use the backup to set up your new device.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
B

billwill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!! I'll probably pick up the iPad Air tomorrow! Can't wait!

Is it easy to erase all the content and settings from the iPad3 before I give it to her?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!! I'll probably pick up the iPad Air tomorrow! Can't wait! Is it easy to erase all the content and settings from the iPad3 before I give it to her?
I added some important information to my first post. Maybe this will answer your question.

Most reactions