What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring apps to new ipad

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backed up everything that I want to transfer from my old iPad to my new one using iCloud. My old iPad does not come up as a backup option on my new iPad. My phone only comes up. Please help. Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using the same iCloud account on all three devices?

You can go into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Mange Storage on both the iPhone and old iPad. You should see both devices listed under Backups. If you don't, then either they are not backing up to the same place, or the backup of the iPad is failing for some reason.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446325771.190681.jpg

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the same iCloud account on all three devices?

You can go into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Mange Storage on both the iPhone and old iPad. You should see both devices listed under Backups. If you don't, then either they are not backing up to the same place, or the backup of the iPad is failing for some reason.

View attachment 68509
I'm sorry, but how do I know I'm using the same iCloud? My phone and my old iPad are listed in my old iPad. Only my phone shows up in my new iPad. Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but how do I know I'm using the same iCloud? My phone and my old iPad are listed in my old iPad. Only my phone shows up in my new iPad. Thank you.
You'll see it in Settings - iCloud - Storage - Manage Storage, (as described above by twerppoet) if you've already set it up without a backup.

It's also possible to make sure both iPads appear in iCloud, when you login to www.icloud.com and go to Devices there. Use a computer to login to iCloud, it doesn't work really well on an iPad.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll see it in Settings - iCloud - Storage - Manage Storage, (as described above by twerppoet) if you've already set it up without a backup.

It's also possible to make sure the new iPad appears in iCloud, when you login to www.icloud.com and go to Devices there. Use a computer to login to iCloud, it doesn't work really well on an iPad.
Are you saying to set it up as a new iPad first and then try to move it over? I backed up my old iPad. My new iPad does not show up on my old iPad under manage storage.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying to set it up as a new iPad first and then try to move it over? I backed up my old iPad. My new iPad does not show up on my old iPad under manage storage.
If you haven't set it up yet, it won't appear on your old iPad.

You don't need to set it up as new iPad, if the backup of the old iPad appears when you set up the iCloud account. I also didn't advise to set it up as new. I simply don't know what you've already done on your iPad, I just wanted to cover all eventualities.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't set it up yet, it won't appear on your old iPad.

You don't need to set it up as new iPad, if the backup of the old iPad appears when you set up the iCloud account. I also didn't advise to set it up as new. I simply don't know what you've already done on your iPad, I just wanted to cover all eventualities.
Sorry, but I'm very confused. I have not set up my new iPad. I backed up old iPad, but it does not appear on new iPad when I check to see what is available for a backup. Only my phone comes up. I do not know why or how to get my old iPad on my new iPad as a backup option. Thank you for your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still use the old iPad, back it up once more. Maybe there's a problem with the current backup, and that's why it doesn't appear when you try to set up the new device.

Is it possible to scroll down when you're having the option to choose from a backup? Maybe the old iPad's backup is somewhere below the iPhone's?

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you still use the old iPad, back it up once more. Maybe there's a problem with the current backup, and that's why it doesn't appear when you try to set up the new device.

Is it possible to scroll down when you're having the option to choose from a backup? Maybe the old iPad's backup is somewhere below the iPhone's?
I backed it up many times. The phone is the only thing showing up on my new phone. I guess I will have to go to the Apple Store. Thanks for your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you do so:
Which software is installed on your old iPad? It's not possible to restore from a backup if the iOS version on the new iPad is older. If that's the case, you won't find the old iPad's backup when you try to set up the new one.

Try the following:
Do not set up your new device with iCloud ID (skip steps), but connect it to Wi-Fi. Update your new device. The latest version is 9.1. That done, go to Settings - General - Reset, and erase all content and settings.
Now you can set up the iCloud ID. If the problem was the iOS version, the backup of your old iPad should appear as backup option now.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you do so:
Which software is installed on your old iPad? It's not possible to restore from a backup if the iOS version on the new iPad is older. If that's the case, you won't find the old iPad's backup when you try to set up the new one.

Try the following:
Do not set up your new device with iCloud ID (skip steps), but connect it to Wi-Fi. Update your new device. The latest version is 9.1. That done, go to Settings - General - Reset, and erase all content and settings.
Now you can set up the iCloud ID. If the problem was the iOS version, the backup of your old iPad should appear as backup option now.
Just updated my old iPad again to 9.1. How do I get to settings on my new iPad without setting it up? My new backup from today is not showing.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings>General>About on your new iPad and scroll down to Version. This will tell you which iOS version is on your new iPad.

OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Settings>General>About on your new iPad and scroll down to Version. This will tell you which iOS version is on your new iPad.
I cannot get to settings without setting up the new iPad. I cannot restore it from iCloud backup because it is not showing up. Do I set up as a new iPad and then go to settings?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You set it up as new iPad and enter your iCloud ID. Do what's necessary to access the homescreen with the Settings app. Then you go to Settings - General - Software Update. If the software on your iPad is older than 9.1, update your new iPad.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elan2223

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You set it up as new iPad and enter your iCloud ID. Do what's necessary to access the homescreen with the Settings app. Then you go to Settings - General - Software Update. If the software on your iPad is older than 9.1, update your new iPad.
Shouldn't a new iPad have the newest software?

Most reactions

Latest posts