What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring app ownership within organization

ejohlman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have had an employee leave our organization, and we retained his iPad 2--which was purchased by the org, along with all of the apps. The new iPad owner would like to keep several of the apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc.) but they are obviously linked to the former employee's Apple ID.

It seems ethical to me that we would be allowed to do this: the iPad and apps have always been the property of the org; the credit card used to purchase the apps was a company card. However, everything I've seen tells me it's just not going to be technically possible because there is no way to separate the permanent link between the app and the original purchaser's Apple ID. True? False?

Worst-case scenario is that we repurchase the apps, which is really not that big of a deal. I just want to confirm that there is no way of linking the app to the new owner (without a convoluted authorize/deauthorize process that we have no interest in maintaining.)

Thanks in advance (and sorry in advance if I'm asking a previously answered question)!

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have had an employee leave our organization, and we retained his iPad 2--which was purchased by the org, along with all of the apps. The new iPad owner would like to keep several of the apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc.) but they are obviously linked to the former employee's Apple ID.

It seems ethical to me that we would be allowed to do this: the iPad and apps have always been the property of the org; the credit card used to purchase the apps was a company card. However, everything I've seen tells me it's just not going to be technically possible because there is no way to separate the permanent link between the app and the original purchaser's Apple ID. True? False?

Worst-case scenario is that we repurchase the apps, which is really not that big of a deal. I just want to confirm that there is no way of linking the app to the new owner (without a convoluted authorize/deauthorize process that we have no interest in maintaining.)

Thanks in advance (and sorry in advance if I'm asking a previously answered question)!

There is no recourse to move ownership of an app from one ID to another ID. At present, your company is given the employee the software for free. What is really interesting is the whole tax situation that you have created because someone didn't think this issue thru properly.

I would highly suggest you create an Apple ID for each employee that is used only for company purchases. These IDs should be numbered and maintained by IT. And the moment that the employee is no longer allowed access to that Apple ID, IT should change the password. IT also need to create the necessary email checking system to watch for purchases on that account, so it can automate a "general ledger" type system to make sure the employee doesn't buy personal or non-authorized apps on that account.

OP
E

ejohlman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no recourse to move ownership of an app from one ID to another ID. At present, your company is given the employee the software for free. What is really interesting is the whole tax situation that you have created because someone didn't think this issue thru properly.

I would highly suggest you create an Apple ID for each employee that is used only for company purchases. These IDs should be numbered and maintained by IT. And the moment that the employee is no longer allowed access to that Apple ID, IT should change the password. IT also need to create the necessary email checking system to watch for purchases on that account, so it can automate a "general ledger" type system to make sure the employee doesn't buy personal or non-authorized apps on that account.

I hear you. [Start excuse] We are a really small non-profit organization and continue to learn lessons like this the hard way. [End excuse]

I will pass on your verdict and your recommendation to the powers-that-be. Thanks for your input.

Most reactions

Latest posts