What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer music to new iPad

Dillinger1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am sure that somewhere on this forum is the answer but I have had a good look around & can't find the answer. What I am trying to do is this;
I have a shed load of music on my old PC. I want to transfer it to my new iPad (it's the retina display one if that matters) so guys, how do I do it?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dillinger... - welcome to the forum! :)

You have plenty of options but a little more information may be useful for others to make suggestions? First, 'how much' (i.e. MB or GB) music are you talking about? And, how much memory do you have on your iPad (i.e. 16, 32, or 64 GB)? Just an initial consideration.

Second, what format(s) is/are your audio files? Below is a quote from iPad specs that show the supported codecs - this will impact on 'how much' music can be placed on your device, and keep in mind that if your audio files are in a 'lossless' codec (such as WAV) that conversion to a 'lossy' one will greatly increase the amount of music you can place on the iPad.

I'll stop there for the moment - answers to the questions above will help in providing further advice - :thumbs:

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

OP
D

Dillinger1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Dillinger... - welcome to the forum! :)

You have plenty of options but a little more information may be useful for others to make suggestions? First, 'how much' (i.e. MB or GB) music are you talking about? And, how much memory do you have on your iPad (i.e. 16, 32, or 64 GB)? Just an initial consideration.

Second, what format(s) is/are your audio files? Below is a quote from iPad specs that show the supported codecs - this will impact on 'how much' music can be placed on your device, and keep in mind that if your audio files are in a 'lossless' codec (such as WAV) that conversion to a 'lossy' one will greatly increase the amount of music you can place on the iPad.

I'll stop there for the moment - answers to the questions above will help in providing further advice - :thumbs:

OK - I guess it was rather lacking in substance!
I have the 32gb version. And am looking at transferring around 3 or 4 gig. The music currently sits on a laptop in iTunes folders. I have managed to import all the music I bought from iTunes very easily but I want to bring across the stuff I ripped off my CD collection.
I have tried connecting the iPad to a USB port with the lead that plugs into the wall charging socket but it only sees the iPad as a camera device & won't let me copy & paste audio files.

I have tried to send them via Bluetooth but that didn't work & I don't want to have to email them over a track at a time. I was hoping the SD card adaptor would work but reading through the specs, that's for picture files only.

I hope there's enough info for you to go on.

Cheers

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Dillinger - thanks for the additional information; appears that you have plenty of storage on your iPad for the music desired; I'm also assuming that the music on your laptop has been ripped to a 'lossy' codec, such as MP3.

Let me explain what I have done to get my ripped music (MP3 files) onto my iPad & iPod - your music is already on your HD, so the 'songs' and/or 'albums' need to be brought into iTunes - below is a portion of iTunes on my VISTA laptop (not sure if you are using a PC or Apple laptop?) showing some of the 80+ albums in my iTunes music library.

Also noticed in the left column that my iPad is attached and listed under devices - nearly all of the music on my laptop is ripped from my own CDs w/ cover art added; the way I get music onto the iDevices is to simply drag an 'album' and drop it onto the device desired in the left column - the music is then downloaded to the device and appears in the music app ready to play.

Now, I have the iTunes set to allow me to manually manipulate my music rather than an automatic sync (check the music tab of your device in iTunes for your preferences); check this Apple KB Article for more detailed information on the process.

I've also tried to put music in my Dropbox account - I can see the folder in the iPad's app and can play individual songs but cannot incorporate the album into my Music app, so not sure if cloud storage options are going to work, unless you want to give iTunes Match a try? Hopefully others w/ more experience in this area will 'chime in' w/ suggestions.

Finally, the CCK (camera connection kit) which I own will not transfer your music to the iPad - good luck and please post back if cabling to iTunes and you iPad works - good luck! :)

iTunesMusic.JPG

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I hope Giradman's great info has helped you here!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Most reactions

Latest posts