What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPU vs. soft gel cases

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple quick questions concerning TPU and soft gel cases.

1. Which cases provides a better grip for holding the ipad? From my limited research it sounds like the TPU is more slick so it wouldn't provide as good of a grip as a soft gel case.

2. How difficult is putting either type of case in a sleeve type of enclosure? I'd like to be able to put my ipad in a sleeve case with either a TPU or soft gel case wrapped around it at the same time for added protection when needed. Will the added friction from the TPU or soft gel make this too difficult?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. ;)

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The soft gel seems like it would give more grip but it doesn't add much grip itself. At least, the two that I have. They are quite smooth as well and about as slippery as the stock iPad.

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
(By the wording supplied, we will assume that soft gel means silicone cases [example of our silicone cases ])

1) Silicone cases usually have the same amount of grip throughout all styles. Some companies have cases with different designs to have a grippy feel (example) but they are generally very smooth on the outside. For that reason, they are do not have much grip.

A TPU case can come in many varieties. Like glass, it can be frosted for a smooth touch or glossy so it has a great grip and clear view. For example, our iLuv Flexi-Dot cases have a semi-frosted interior but the exterior is very glossy and has great grip. The same thing can be said for our CircleWave TPU cases.

2) A silicone case should always be avoided when using a sleeve case. A matte TPU would be best since it would slide in and out easily. Either that or a hard case since it will not slide off.

Check out our Smart Cover compatible cases for the Apple iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad 2/3/4

iPhone 5C Cases

iPhone 5S Cases

i
Pod Touch 5th Generation Cases

Last edited:
OP
L

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(By the wording supplied, we will assume that soft gel means silicone cases [example of our silicone cases ])

1) Silicone cases usually have the same amount of grip throughout all styles. Some companies have cases with different designs to have a grippy feel (example) but they are generally very smooth on the outside. For that reason, they are do not have much grip.

A TPU case can come in many varieties. Like glass, it can be frosted for a smooth touch or glossy so it has a great grip and clear view. For example, our iLuv Flexi-Dot cases have a semi-frosted interior but the exterior is very glossy and has great grip. The same thing can be said for our CircleWave TPU cases.

2) A silicone case should always be avoided when using a sleeve case. A matte TPU would be best since it would slide in and out easily. Either that or a hard case since it will not slide off.

Actually I was referring to the gel cases, maybe I was confused but I thought it was actually called soft gel....if I'm mistaken then thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am actually not considering a silicone case, much for the same reason that you stated (I was pretty sure the silicone would be really difficult to go in and out of a sleeve) but was mostly concerned about the rigidity of the silicone. I've seen complaints from people saying that sometimes the silicone is too loose and it kind of rolls off the device at times.

It's actually funny that you replied and mentioned the iluv flexi-dot case. I was going to ask you a question in your sub-forum about it. I've seen other places that have 3 different colors....black, blue, & pink. Im curious if you guys are going to carry any of those other colors, mostly interested in the black personally.

The next thing I would have to do is find a decent sleeve type case that has a small pocket on it's side so I can have someplace to store my earbud headphones I bought for watching movies.

Thanks for the info so far. :)

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
It's actually funny that you replied and mentioned the iluv flexi-dot case. I was going to ask you a question in your sub-forum about it. I've seen other places that have 3 different colors....black, blue, & pink. Im curious if you guys are going to carry any of those other colors, mostly interested in the black personally.

We're glad to answer any questions!

Actually, we will have the other colors, clear, pink and blue, online by tonight. As you may have noticed on the site, we have a variety of new items and we've been busy trying to update it as quick as possible. We will not have a black color option, but I believe the 'black' and 'smoke(d)/gray' names are used interchangeably over the market.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1. Which cases provides a better grip for holding the ipad? From my limited research it sounds like the TPU is more slick so it wouldn't provide as good of a grip as a soft gel case.

2. How difficult is putting either type of case in a sleeve type of enclosure? I'd like to be able to put my ipad in a sleeve case with either a TPU or soft gel case wrapped around it at the same time for added protection when needed. Will the added friction from the TPU or soft gel make this too difficult?

Hi that an interesting question for a manufacturer

The Silicone case (the one you call soft) are usually more thick if you want to have grip and durability …

In term of durability due to the Silicone specification , only the dark color will not change the color, in term of grip you can add any decoration and style you want it’s no strong enough for maintain well

advantage: of the silicone is he can colorful and the price is really cheap around 6 to 15$ (same type of case)

Disadvantage: Cheap looking, not a good grip, durability mediocre, cannot easily enter in sleeve, and can’t enter in leatherette case

TPU case more slim but more strong, more better grip with or without grippy decoration, you can also put it in most of existing sleeve and leatherette case (i do that)
for put a TPU case you will need a little more effort than silicone but a 10 years old kids can do it

Advantage: Elegant looking better grip, long life, and will not hide light sensor, can enter in all sleeve and case

Disadvantage: More expensive than silicone ….

Personal comment: TPU is the best, just paid attention to the first generation as many be developed without iPad in hand the hole are not well made or too small , due to the manufacturing time the second generation still just arrive in the market

Hope that help

OP
L

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score

We're glad to answer any questions!

Actually, we will have the other colors, clear, pink and blue, online by tonight. As you may have noticed on the site, we have a variety of new items and we've been busy trying to update it as quick as possible. We will not have a black color option, but I believe the 'black' and 'smoke(d)/gray' names are used interchangeably over the market.

Here's a link to what I'm referring to when I'm talking about the black case.

iLuv

The black one there....is that the same one that you already have on your website? If so, that's the one I'm mainly interested in but it must just be different lighting on your website....and in person would it look darker like on the iluv website pictures?

OP
L

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi that an interesting question for a manufacturer

The Silicone case (the one you call soft) are usually more thick if you want to have grip and durability …

In term of durability due to the Silicone specification , only the dark color will not change the color, in term of grip you can add any decoration and style you want it’s no strong enough for maintain well

advantage: of the silicone is he can colorful and the price is really cheap around 6 to 15$ (same type of case)

Disadvantage: Cheap looking, not a good grip, durability mediocre, cannot easily enter in sleeve, and can’t enter in leatherette case

TPU case more slim but more strong, more better grip with or without grippy decoration, you can also put it in most of existing sleeve and leatherette case (i do that)
for put a TPU case you will need a little more effort than silicone but a 10 years old kids can do it

Advantage: Elegant looking better grip, long life, and will not hide light sensor, can enter in all sleeve and case

Disadvantage: More expensive than silicone ….

Personal comment: TPU is the best, just paid attention to the first generation as many be developed without iPad in hand the hole are not well made or too small , due to the manufacturing time the second generation still just arrive in the market

Hope that help

Ok so I'm gathering that what I've seen elsewhere "soft gel" must be the same thing as TPU and I've gotten it confused. I was under the impression that there was 3 different types of these style of cases....TPU, silicone, and "soft gel". But in reality, soft gel and TPU are one in the same....would that be correct? I already knew I wouldn't want a silicone case....I could never stand those on my iPhone...and there's no way I'd put one on my iPad. lol

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
Ok so I'm gathering that what I've seen elsewhere "soft gel" must be the same thing as TPU and I've gotten it confused. I was under the impression that there was 3 different types of these style of cases....TPU, silicone, and "soft gel". But in reality, soft gel and TPU are one in the same....would that be correct? I already knew I wouldn't want a silicone case....I could never stand those on my iPhone...and there's no way I'd put one on my iPad. lol

Yes, that is correct. The TPU (Soft Gel) is also sometimes called Candy or even Crystal.

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com

iLuv

The black one there....is that the same one that you already have on your website? If so, that's the one I'm mainly interested in but it must just be different lighting on your website....and in person would it look darker like on the iluv website pictures?

The image with the iLuv cases together is rendered. Therefore it looks darker. When you expand the images on that site, we see this:

case_iCC802BLK.jpg

Our cases are almost identical to the one above. The only difference is the lack of the iLuv trademark in the top middle, by request.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yep 100% right, seem’s you have a good taste in the past we produce and sell some hundred thousand of silicone case for iPhone (when is the trend) i never can use one … it’s why i refuse to do and sell that for iPad the touching is like condom without oil …. but all e-bayer sell that everywhere due to the giant margin they have (almost 6 times the cost) …

TPU is the must have for iPad, if you look of the serious brand like, Belkin, Incase, Griffin, they doesn’t have this stuff for the simple reason you can’t have quality silicone case only Incipio have one but is a really special one …

After that have one more you don’t talk about is the hard case … better to stay away about that and just consider that doesn’t exist

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of the silicone cases have gotten bad reviews because silicone is too soft to hold its shape tightly around the large screen of the iPad. They work fine for the iPhone, of course.

This is the skin I am waiting for:
Speck | PixelSkin Case for iPad

I bought it for my Touch when it first came out, and I asolutely love it. The chunky texture has a great grip, and the material of the case feels really nice. Too bad it's not available yet. I keep checking the Speck website but I have no idea when it will be in stock. I might have to buy a cheap, flimsy skin while I'm waiting... :(

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gotten around this tight squeeze issue by putting my iPad with cover into a very well padded zippered netbook case. Fits easily to put in easily and easy to take in and out. Some of the smaller portable DVD cases could also be a solution for you. Right now, we are all trying to be trendy but I'm sure we'll settle for what fits our needs in the long term. Sleeves are so slick but I'm still looking for something that will accommodate the peripherals I have for travelling on holidays rather than just daily needs.

OP
L

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iLuv

The image with the iLuv cases together is rendered. Therefore it looks darker. When you expand the images on that site, we see this:

case_iCC802BLK.jpg

Our cases are almost identical to the one above. The only difference is the lack of the iLuv trademark in the top middle, by request.

The last part of what you said in this post is what convinced me....wasn't so sure about having something that says "iLuv" on my iPad. lol So I just placed my order.

Just out wondering though...with your free shipping (no other options) what service will you guys use? I'm hoping to get it by the end of next week since I'm only going to be home on the weekends for the next few weeks due to my job....and would hate to have to wait an extra week.

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
Just out wondering though...with your free shipping (no other options) what service will you guys use? I'm hoping to get it by the end of next week since I'm only going to be home on the weekends for the next few weeks due to my job....and would hate to have to wait an extra week.

Thanks for the order!

We use USPS First Class Mail. You will probably receive it between the following dates: 6/8 - 6/10. It will not require a signature so they will probably leave it in your mailbox/front door. Hopefully you will be able to reach it in time!

Most reactions