What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many useless apps in the AppStore?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are also apps that wouldn't be need under any othe OS (to upload pictures to Picasa for example) and apps that don't do much more than direct you to various URLs (e.g. some banking apps).

In the smart phone war and upcoming tablet war, I pay little heed to claims about the number of apps available. What really matters it the QUALITY of the dozen or so apps that you are likely to actaully use and perhaps the number of apps to choose from in a specific category (e.g. GPS/Navigation).

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mike4AU said:
I have not been able to find one for the iPad. Would someone please post a link to it?

Thanks

Here is the web page for the AppAdvice site. In the upper right hand corner is a link to the app, which will take you to its location in the App Store.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
I use Appshopper to help search for apps and to alert me when apps are updated and go on sale. You can mark an app in your wish list and it will monitor it for you.

Appshopper is free and I have been using it for over a year.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I got that one last night. Over a gazzillion apps and only 12 at a time show up on my screen was frustrating until someone posted that app .
This forum has been my biggest help in finding apps, just like the Incredible forum has with my Incredible. Also search is the best tool in the app store for me.
Useless apps? Any I don't want or need are useless to me but just like an Obama head Chia Pet , someone will buy it

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I don't know if I lost my sense of humor, but I find that there are too many useless apps in the AppStore...

Just to name a few:

Fart apps
Sound board apps
Simulated function apps (like finding a cell phone by its number...)
Joke apps (broken screen, remote farting...)
Apps that do no more than the default apps like Notes, sound recording...
Shortcut apps to some websites
Toy apps

Surely there are other type of apps that could be considered useless but that's what I have in mind for now. Should Apple filter those apps out by setting a policy that would ensure that the app is actually doing something interesting?

Apple did already some cleaning in the last year, since there seems to be less of those now than when I got my iPhone in 2009.

What have you found to be completely useless?

VicoPad addict!

That's like saying there are too many books at Amazon.com. Or too many toys at Toy's 'R Us. This is a subjective opinion. Apps, books, and toys are made to be sold for $. And someone somewhere will probably buy them. The difference between the apps and the books, for instance, is that if the books don't sell they won't be offered any longer and will eventually go out of print. The apps, on the other hand, will probably be available until the device gets discontinued (and maybe not even then.)

Most reactions

Latest posts