What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To upgrade? And if so, which?

OP
F

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in a debate if I want the 32GB or 64GB 3G ipad 2. I don't know if I'll ever use 64GB but it's only around 100 more for twice the space...

In your case, I think it makese sense to get the 64GB. Worst case scenario is you don't use it like you think you would. But it would be far worse to get the 32GB and realize later on that you wish you would have gotten more space.

Also, didn't harddrives that were a whole 100 MB sound really big at one point? :p

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
forkyfork said:
Hello everyone. The other day, I won an iPad (yaaay!). It's a 16GB wifi white. But, like a true gadget geek, I'm seriously contemplating upgrading my purchase. As you're about to find out, I'm very undecided about every possible option.

Color: Purely a personal choice and I would want black. I liked your thought with movies - just like in the HT. Black surrounding the screen is a must... :)

3G: Many a thought and opinion here yet I believe most of why folks don't get it is availability and/or cost. Personally, I don't like the tethering option due to I want my iPad to be completely independent. I don't even carry my phone half the time given I text off the iPad if need be etc. Paying for a separate data plan bothers many... I just skip two lunch outings a month and it's paid for. I think the best would be to have a 4G phone that I could tether to when in a 4G area, yet I would still want the 3G on the iPad due to my use being iPad solo and no phone etc.
Depending on your area, resale could be a wash - however, many buying used are looking for the cheaper ones, w/3G. IE, what I see is the 16gb 3Gs sell very fast. That brings us to "memory".

GB's: We have a 16 and two 32 GB iPads in the house. My daughter now uses the 16 with an enormous amount of game apps and about 4 movies at any given time - and a hundred songs or so..... She has/does max out the 16. Wife and I have the 32's (3G) and don't even come close to using half of the memory. I thought we would yet within a month realized I/we just didnt need to carry that much "stuff" around at all times. Apps easily come and go and movies I load just before I head out on the road or to the airport etc Now, if you do want a library of music, books and movies then definitely get the 32 or 64. Double digit movies and a 1000 or so songs can easily kill 32 let alone a 64....
My decision for the 32's was purely the fact it was the middle of the pack and they were available, with 3G. If two 16GB/3G models would have been in front of me I probably would have just purchased those etc. Now, if money wasnt a factor and you're already thinking 32GB then yes, $100 more to jump to 64 is justified. And given the cost, 64GB models, 3G or not, are typically easier to come by.

Cheers

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the small 16gb White iPad 2. I let most of my data live on Dropbox and don't need tons of local storage. Also I want to be able to upgrade to the iPad 3 guilt-free. It's easier to do when you buy the cheaper model. :)

What guilt? Lol.

My iPad 1 and 2 are 64GB 3G, and my next one will be, too, unless Android tablet makers seriously step up their game, or iPads start selling with a lot more storage.

I have an android tablet... lol they have a LONG way to go before they can compare to the ipad, android tablets just seems like large phones. iPads actually seem like tablets, to me anyways.

Agreed. Part of the problem is Android's eco system falling short and being fractured by comparison. I love my iPad, but I'd rather see more real competition.

With more and more businesses, schools and other institutions going with iPad, investments will go into iOS-specific content development. That kind of momentum is hard to challenge.

iKIKO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also first bought the white 16g 3g, but coming from the ipad 1 with 64g 3g no way i could fit all my media in there.

So i gave it the white to my mom and got me a black 64g 3g ipad 2. Now i can breath :p

So buy the bigest you can afford. Its nice to have huge storage room. You dont know when you might need it ;)

chazmink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you go with 64gb if you can afford it. I went with wifi only since, like you, I already have an iPhone. There is enough wifi around that I didn't think another $30 data plan was worth it. My son and I have black and my wife has white. My take is that video is best with black and e-books are better in white.

OP
F

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also first bought the white 16g 3g, but coming from the ipad 1 with 64g 3g no way i could fit all my media in there.

So i gave it the white to my mom and got me a black 64g 3g ipad 2. Now i can breath :p

So buy the bigest you can afford. Its nice to have huge storage room. You dont know when you might need it ;)

I always think "buy the biggest you can afford" is such an interesting concept. If you're already spending $500 or $600 on a device, is another $100 really going to make that big of a difference? If it means you won't be able to pay your bills, maybe you shouldn't be buying a tablet at all ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I always think "buy the biggest you can afford" is such an interesting concept. If you're already spending $500 or $600 on a device, is another $100 really going to make that big of a difference? If it means you won't be able to pay your bills, maybe you shouldn't be buying a tablet at all ;)

That's my thinking, too.

OP
F

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided on the 32gb black Verizon, but best buy only has 32gb wifi. Really thinking about just getting the wifi instead, but my friends insist on holding out for the Verizon model. I'm just not sure how much I will use a data plan since I have an iPhone already.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided on the 32gb black Verizon, but best buy only has 32gb wifi. Really thinking about just getting the wifi instead, but my friends insist on holding out for the Verizon model. I'm just not sure how much I will use a data plan since I have an iPhone already.

I have an iPhone 4 and still decided on a 3G iPad 2. I don't need either of them, both are wants. That said, I want them to be convenient and easy to use. Like someone else said, skip a fancy lunch or two and the data is paid for. A story can be justified for which ever way you decide. Mine is white and 64gb because that is what was available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
hallowelt.name
forkyfork said:
In your case, I think it makese sense to get the 64GB. Worst case scenario is you don't use it like you think you would. But it would be far worse to get the 32GB and realize later on that you wish you would have gotten more space.

Also, didn't harddrives that were a whole 100 MB sound really big at one point? :p

Lol yeah. I got the 64GB because its what was available at the time andI wasn't willing to wait for the store to get more since it's at random. Kinda glad I did pay the extra I can load a bunch of movies on it.

OP
F

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all. I know you were on the edge of your seat wondering what happened. Finally got the BLACK Verizon 32GB from Best Buy, like I wanted. I'm really not convinced I need to have Verizon, but it's nice to have, and since the iPad was already paid for, it was easier to spend the extra :)

Now I just need to figure out what case to get - LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts