What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help deciding on a refurbished model

muttster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy my wife an Ipad and I need some advice. She will primarily use it to answer emails, plan activities, light word processing. read the paper and do crosswords puzzles. Looking at the Apple Store, I noticed the following choices:

1. 1st Gen 16 gb wi/fi with 3g - $399. Although I don't anticipate her using the 3g option and the monthly plans, this would give her the option to take it on vacation.

2. 1st Gen. 32 gb wi/fi - $399. Do you really need the extra space?

3. 2nd Gen. 16 gb wi/fi - $449 - the newest model but would it be a significant upgrade given what my wife wants to do with the Ipad? Do you think it will be more future proof than the 1st generation Ipods? She won't use the camera at all on the Ipad.

I'm really kinda stuck here and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Also, is the Apple store the only place that sells the refurbs?

Thanks again

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd have gone with Option 1, given the use that you believe your wife will make of it. The big consumer in terms of disc space are movies - often 1GB each - so that could be the biggest factor in making that decision. With no movies there's probably not too much need for the bigger capacity. Music - you didn't mention that - would come a second in determining the storage capacity you'd need. Some Members have thousands of albums on their iPads, so that adds up too but you'd need quite a lot of music to eat up even a few GB of storage. I have an iPad1 and, unless you're in to gaming and other activities that really need the improved graphics and CPU performance you're probably not going to notice any difference.

The iPad1 does have certain advantages too. It's slightly thicker and - in many Member's minds - sturdier. Also, early iPad2s were 'plagued' with an LCD screen light 'bleed' issue that caused many Members to return their iPads for exchange. The iPad1 didn't suffer from this problem.

I note your comment about the use of 3G. It's a great standby if you can't get access to WiFi - and in some places you have to pay for it too - so it's great to have. Plus the WiFi models of the iPad don't have GPS - that's only included on the 3G models.

As you'll be aware, refurbished models are cosmetically perfect, come with a full warranty and have always had a brand new battery fitted.

I hope your wife enjoys her iPad whichever model you decide eventually to go for.

Tim

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'd have gone with Option 1, given the use that you believe your wife will make of it. The big consumer in terms of disc space are movies - often 1GB each - so that could be the biggest factor in making that decision. With no movies there's probably not too much need for the bigger capacity. Music - you didn't mention that - would come a second in determining the storage capacity you'd need. Some Members have thousands of albums on their iPads, so that adds up too but you'd need quite a lot of music to eat up even a few GB of storage. I have an iPad1 and, unless you're in to gaming and other activities that really need the improved graphics and CPU performance you're probably not going to notice any difference.

The iPad1 does have certain advantages too. It's slightly thicker and - in many Member's minds - sturdier. Also, early iPad2s were 'plagued' with an LCD screen light 'bleed' issue that caused many Members to return their iPads for exchange. The iPad1 didn't suffer from this problem.

I note your comment about the use of 3G. It's a great standby if you can't get access to WiFi - and in some places you have to pay for it too - so it's great to have. Plus the WiFi models of the iPad don't have GPS - that's only included on the 3G models.

As you'll be aware, refurbished models are cosmetically perfect, come with a full warranty and have always had a brand new battery fitted.

I hope your wife enjoys her iPad whichever model you decide eventually to go for.

Tim

I would agree with Tim's overview, I went with the refurb first generation 16GB wifi and have no regrets. I don't travel around much, but when I do, I'll download what I need in movies and off I go. I really don't store much in movies, photos and music, so in my opinion, I really don't need the extra storage

TaildraggerJ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make that "me three" I got a refurbed IPad1 16GB and am totally satisfied. My co worker has a 64GB version and has over 50GB of empty space, I've got 10 and that's with my total IPod music and a rented movie installed.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I never owned ana apple device and didn't want to invest to much so the refurb was the way to go.

Most reactions

Latest posts