What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To upgrade? And if so, which?

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. The other day, I won an iPad (yaaay!). It's a 16GB wifi white. But, like a true gadget geek, I'm seriously contemplating upgrading my purchase. As you're about to find out, I'm very undecided about every possible option.

First, I'm really torn on whether or not to get a Verizon model, or not. I know 3G is an option, but I was planning on buying from Best Buy, who only sells Verizon, unless AT&T is much better. I'm unsure whether a cell phone plan is necessary, or if wifi will suffice. I already have an iPhone, and I don't like the idea of spending extra money a month for data. It would definitely be nice to have, though, especially for car trips and such. I'm also considering resale value, and thinking that the iPad will retain it's value better if I buy that feature. But I'm just unsure how much I would use it myself. Then again, I said "who needs internet on their cell phone?", and now look where I am!

Second, I'm undecided about the space. I plan to put a lot of apps on, and maybe a few movies, but not my whole collection. I also listen to podcasts and music, although I can download those to my phone as well. It really seemed like the sweet spot for me was 32GB, but in my experience from Best Buy, 32's are hard to come by and 16's and 64's are a bit easier to find. If that's the case, should I bite the bullet and go for the extra space at 64? Or should I cut costs and go down to 16?

And third - and probably the thing I'm most confident about - is color choice. I'm pretty sure I want a black one, even though it seems white ones are much easier to come by (because I guess they aren't selling as well). I was reading the white ones get dirtier easier and don't offer as much contrast for watching movies. Does anyone who has a white want to defend the color?

Thank you for all your help. I sometimes wish Apple didn't have quite so many options.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a White 64GB Wi-Fi only model. I prefer the white over the black as i do a lot of reading and the white just seems to disappear. It also disappears when watching videos/movies, playing games..it's much less distracting than black IMO, plus white also fits more of the smart cover colors. To me, black would be restricted to red, black or grey smart cover because every other color is too bright and cheery for such a dull, lifeless color as black.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had it for about a month to a month and a half and the white is as bright as day 1. The aluminum back is dirtier than the white will probably ever get.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy sells AT&T models. I've bought two from there. Don't know about Verizon models.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seems like the 32 gb may jsut be the right size for u. give it some time. and i would go with the white.

Freshbru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U sound like me. I won a 16g. I sold it on eBay and got near retail price. I then bought a black 32g wifi only. I probably won't use even 8g in space. I just felt better having extra-just in case.

In my opinion 3G depends on what phone device u hv. If AT&T, tethering is impossible. U hv to buy a separate data plan. I'm w veizon. I hv iPhone 4 with easy to use hotspot feature. So iPad is wifi only. When I don't hv wifi I just use the phones hotspot feature.

OP
F

forkyfork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U sound like me. I won a 16g. I sold it on eBay and got near retail price. I then bought a black 32g wifi only. I probably won't use even 8g in space. I just felt better having extra-just in case.

In my opinion 3G depends on what phone device u hv. If AT&T, tethering is impossible. U hv to buy a separate data plan. I'm w veizon. I hv iPhone 4 with easy to use hotspot feature. So iPad is wifi only. When I don't hv wifi I just use the phones hotspot feature.

Any reason you didn't just take it to the store if you planned to upgrade?

Why is tethering so difficult on AT&T? Couldn't I jailbreak and use it as a wifi hotspot? I'm on AT&T now, but considering switching to Verizon.

Freshbru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
forkyfork said:
Any reason you didn't just take it to the store if you planned to upgrade?

Why is tethering so difficult on AT&T? Couldn't I jailbreak and use it as a wifi hotspot? I'm on AT&T now, but considering switching to Verizon.

I won it right when they were released. I may have gotten a tad better than retail by selling it. I'm in Atlanta. We got them pretty quickly. I did good selling it. If there was a jailbreak for ipad2 then no problem on tethering. Even then, however, tethering is a pain. In my area, Verizon has better reception. Also...their 3G is faster than AT&T 3G. I was with AT&T before. I switched. Since their antenna system is much newer than AT&T, their 4g shud be faster and better too.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can tell you my boss bought a white ipad2 because that was all that was available at the time. I then bought a black one and after comparing the two rather extensively side by side, he took his back and exchanged it for a black one.

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally had a 32GB White 3G and decided that I preferred the black and it would be handy to have the extra space on it. I probably won't use up the entire memory but the option is there should I need it. I also figured that the resale value would be good as it's black, 64GB's and has 3G!

howell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the small 16gb White iPad 2. I let most of my data live on Dropbox and don't need tons of local storage. Also I want to be able to upgrade to the iPad 3 guilt-free. It's easier to do when you buy the cheaper model. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the small 16gb White iPad 2. I let most of my data live on Dropbox and don't need tons of local storage. Also I want to be able to upgrade to the iPad 3 guilt-free. It's easier to do when you buy the cheaper model. :)

What guilt? Lol.

My iPad 1 and 2 are 64GB 3G, and my next one will be, too, unless Android tablet makers seriously step up their game, or iPads start selling with a lot more storage.

Reaction score
Website
hallowelt.name

What guilt? Lol.

My iPad 1 and 2 are 64GB 3G, and my next one will be, too, unless Android tablet makers seriously step up their game, or iPads start selling with a lot more storage.

I have an android tablet... lol they have a LONG way to go before they can compare to the ipad, android tablets just seems like large phones. iPads actually seem like tablets, to me anyways.

I'm in a debate if I want the 32GB or 64GB 3G ipad 2. I don't know if I'll ever use 64GB but it's only around 100 more for twice the space...

Most reactions

Latest posts