What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To transfer google contacts to my iPad 4

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i want to export my google contacts in vcard format to my windows PC so that i could transfer them to my ipad 4 contacts app.

I tried instructions in this link - How do I export contacts from my Gmail or Google Apps for Business account?

When i click export, it does not ask for the location to save the vcard file. Where can i find this file that has been saved?

Also, after locating this file, how do i transfer this contact list to my ipad 4?

Please help.
Thanks in advance !!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i want to export my google contacts in vcard format to my windows PC so that i could transfer them to my ipad 4 contacts app.

I tried instructions in this link - How do I export contacts from my Gmail or Google Apps for Business account?

When i click export, it does not ask for the location to save the vcard file. Where can i find this file that has been saved?

Also, after locating this file, how do i transfer this contact list to my ipad 4?

Please help.
Thanks in advance !!

There would be an easier way to add your Google contacts to your iPad, without computer, just using your iPad:

Go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars.
Choose Add Account...
Select Other
Now choose Add CardDAV Account

Fill out your account information:
Server: Enter "google.com"
User Name: Enter your full Google Account email address.
Password: Google Account password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).

Tap Next at the top of your screen.
Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned to ON.

Last edited:
OP
S

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There would be an easier way to add your Google contacts to your iPad, without computer, just using your iPad:

Go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars.
Choose Add Account...
Select Other
Now choose Add CardDAV Account

Fill out your account information:
Server: Enter "google.com"
User Name: Enter your full Google Account email address.
Password: Google Account password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).

Tap Next at the top of your screen.
Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned to ON.

Hi,

I have already done that long back. I have all of my google contacts on ipad. They snc well.

The problem is, in the standard contacts app: contacts --> groups , when i check only icloud contacts( and uncheck my google contacts) , my google contacts are unseen. This means , i can not access my google contacts in icloud email when i login from my browser on PC, as icloud on PC browser shows ONLY icloud contacts.

What do i do ?

Tx.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have already done that long back. I have all of my google contacts on ipad. They snc well.

The problem is, in the standard contacts app: contacts --> groups , when i check only icloud contacts( and uncheck my google contacts) , my google contacts are unseen. This means , i can not access my google contacts in icloud email when i login from my browser on PC, as icloud on PC browser shows ONLY icloud contacts.

What do i do ?

Tx.

If you've already saved the file to your computer, and you don't know where it is, you'll have to search for it.

When you know where it is, go to iCloud.com, log in, and go to Contacts. Click the icon in the lower left, and choose Import vCard. Open the file you saved from Google, and your contacts will be added to iCloud.

Last edited:
OP
S

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've already saved the file to your computer, and you don't know where it is, you'll have to search for it.

When you know where it is, go to iCloud.com, log in, and go to Contacts. Click the icon in the lower left, and choose Import vCard. Open the file you saved from Google, and your contacts will be added to iCloud.

Tx so much for replying !!

This is where i face problems. I tried exporting google contacts from safari, chrome, internet explorer, firefox. In all of these, after i click "export" option, it does not ask where to save the files. No dialog box opens. It just closes. So, i assumed that it must have exported. So i tried searching using words like "vcard", "contacts" etc etc, but could not find. Please tell me how i could locate it.

Tx in advance !!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tx so much for replying !!

This is where i face problems. I tried exporting google contacts from safari, chrome, internet explorer, firefox. In all of these, after i click "export" option, it does not ask where to save the files. No dialog box opens. It just closes. So, i assumed that it must have exported. So i tried searching using words like "vcard", "contacts" etc etc, but could not find. Please tell me how i could locate it.

Tx in advance !!

You won't find them that way. Your contacts are saved to your computer with a random sequence of numbers and letters. Search for something with numbers and letters (very long) in your Downloads.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps it will also be easier to find it, if you know and look at the day that it was downloaded. (Or even the time)

It should be a .zip file. Before using it in iCloud, you'll have to unzip it.

Last edited:
OP
S

sgiridhar007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google is frustrating !!

tx JA !!

I read up on the net. Many people face problems exporting contacts from google, not only in vcard format, but in all the 3 format options available. Seems it was easier i the older version of Gmail.

I am tired of reading up every single thing on the net, every time i face some problem. As if i had no other work to do. This is really tiring. Is Apple making my life difficult or google? I dont even want to analyze all this crap. I never faced problems with iPad because all Notes,Reminders, Calendar, Email - all are in one umbrella. I dont need separate apps for each as is the case with google.

Next academic year, i would note down all contacts locally in iPad ONLY, not in google. I have to get an iPhone now - a bigger screen would be to my taste. I used to like Google, now iPad has snatched my mind away from google !!

Thanks a ton JA & Others !! For all your suggestions ! :)
Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts