What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To convert Kindle books to iBook, or not to...

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to convert to e-pub the dozen or so books I bought from Amazon w/the plan that I would have all books on one reader (the iBooks, naturally). While using Calibre I got the DRM message disallowing the conversion. For some reason I thought getting Calibre would let me do this.

I'm fine w/both readers, but just want things simple. i.e. all my books in one place. Is it worth going to the trouble finding a way around DRM? Opinions?

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not just get the Kindle app on your iPad and read books you purchased through Amazon. I have iBooks, Kindle and Barnes & Noble all on my iPad because I have purchased books from all 3. It works great, and all in one reader, the iPad!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
You can remove the DRM from Kindle books, but it is one of the hardest to do. Honestly in your case I don't think it would be worth the effort. .....

Amazon uses two different types of DRM, and you of course can't tell when you have on any one book.... One of their DRM types is called "Topaz" and it can be a bear to remove... I have done it, but it is a PITA.....

I use the Kindle app some, and really find it okay. I prefer the iBooks app (I like the landscape mode) but really they both get the job done.... Oh, I have 6 different readers on my iPad...

OP
Blind

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not just get the Kindle app on your iPad and read books you purchased through Amazon. I have iBooks, Kindle and Barnes & Noble all on my iPad because I have purchased books from all 3. It works great, and all in one reader, the iPad!

I have the Kindle app, as well as the Barnes & Ignoble--but I want them sorted in on place, not three--or four--or more. How's this for an idea... an app that sorts all your e-books in one place, you browse through it & after selecting a title it opens up in the designated reader, i.e. Kindle, iBooks, etc. I'd buy that app for a dollar in a heartbeat...

OP
Blind

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can remove the DRM from Kindle books, but it is one of the hardest to do. Honestly in your case I don't think it would be worth the effort. .....

Amazon uses two different types of DRM, and you of course can't tell when you have on any one book.... One of their DRM types is called "Topaz" and it can be a bear to remove... I have done it, but it is a PITA.....

I use the Kindle app some, and really find it okay. I prefer the iBooks app (I like the landscape mode) but really they both get the job done.... Oh, I have 6 different readers on my iPad...

Thanks for the info. I love the Kindle app, and the kind of books I read--generally non-fiction, is by far more plentifully available through Amazon. My desire is merely keeping titles organized in one place to view. I'm not really particular over which reader I use. Also, now that I know Amazon has made things more complicated for me I'm losing the allegiance I've been feeling towards them since I bought my Kindle.

cpatch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a plugin/extension for Calibre that handles the DRM removal but you'd have to Google to find it...I just remember running across it when I was trying to figure out how to convert my books. If you have a lot of technical books you're going to run into the Topaz DRM that Bremen mentioned and if he managed to remove it then he has more patience than I do! The bottom line is that after all the work removing the regular DRM you're probably going to have some books left over that you have to use the Kindle app for. I ended up using both (I have the B&N app too but don't like it). Yes, it would be nice if everything was in one place but it's really not that bad.

If you ARE looking for technical books, check out the O'Reilly book apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch. They're only $4-6 for the complete book and O'Reilly published instructions on how to convert them to ePub on their blog!

OP
Blind

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a plugin/extension for Calibre that handles the DRM removal but you'd have to Google to find it...I just remember running across it when I was trying to figure out how to convert my books.

I get a message from Calibre while tring to convert any Kindle title that reads: Could not convert: Convert book 1 of 1 (The First Paul)
It is a DRMed book. You must first remove the DRM using third party tools.

Another thing is that in the five days I used Calibre (I converted about a dozen pdf files) I was messaged by them about updates 3 times. I updated each time & there's yet a 4th update message that I think I'll just skip.

I almost wonder if Amazon pressured them somehow to distance themselves from converting their books. That probably sounds cynical.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlimited Ebooks and other downloads for IPAD
GTFO spammer.

2edqclz.gif

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
There's a plugin/extension for Calibre that handles the DRM removal but you'd have to Google to find it...I just remember running across it when I was trying to figure out how to convert my books.

I get a message from Calibre while tring to convert any Kindle title that reads: Could not convert: Convert book 1 of 1 (The First Paul)
It is a DRMed book. You must first remove the DRM using third party tools.

Another thing is that in the five days I used Calibre (I converted about a dozen pdf files) I was messaged by them about updates 3 times. I updated each time & there's yet a 4th update message that I think I'll just skip.

I almost wonder if Amazon pressured them somehow to distance themselves from converting their books. That probably sounds cynical.

Calibre cannot convert anybooks with DRM, including Kindle. There is a plugin for some, but you also have to have Python installed for them to work. Like I said above, it is really not worth the effort and headache... unless you are computer savvy.... and if you were computer savvy, you would have searched and already figured it out... :D

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd, why does it show as moved or deleted in your quote but not in the original?

Auntielindam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Kindle app, as well as the Barnes & Ignoble--but I want them sorted in on place, not three--or four--or more. How's this for an idea... an app that sorts all your e-books in one place, you browse through it & after selecting a title it opens up in the designated reader, i.e. Kindle, iBooks, etc. I'd buy that app for a dollar in a heartbeat...

Excellent suggestion! I would pay more than a dollar, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts