What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to rant.... ZAGG sheild.... UGH!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried telling my daughter not to mess with those obnoxious iPad screen protectors. I have a splash masque HD and got extremely lucky that it installed OK. Pure act of a supreme being, nothing me or the product did. Anyways, we got the ZAGG home and tried to install it. And, like clockwork, it was a disaster. Messy, wet, and discombobulated. The horror. I was shocked and appalled, then I find out that best buy won't take it back unless you pay extra to have them install it for you. It's already overpriced by a big amount and then you add install on top of that? So, for just 1/3 the cost of a complete iPad 2 you can have this jalopy. It's like a clear slice of ham.

My goodness. I'm done, thanks. :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried telling my daughter not to mess with those obnoxious iPad screen protectors. I have a splash masque HD and got extremely lucky that it installed OK. Pure act of a supreme being, nothing me or the product did. Anyways, we got the ZAGG home and tried to install it. And, like clockwork, it was a disaster. Messy, wet, and discombobulated. The horror. I was shocked and appalled, then I find out that best buy won't take it back unless you pay extra to have them install it for you. It's already overpriced by a big amount and then you add install on top of that? So, for just 1/3 the cost of a complete iPad 2 you can have this jalopy. It's like a clear slice of ham.

My goodness. I'm done, thanks. :)

My friend...I wasn't really lucky putting on my zagg cover on my droid phone a few years ago. Just the thought of the spray going on the screen and then applying the cover. The bubbles were all over and I was assured they would go away. Well it didn't really. I left it the way it was for the 2 years I had it. Never did like the drag feel it had when scrolling.

Needless to say, the only screen protectors I will get now is the Moshi. Easy on in seconds and no bubbles.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi s2m!

I don't ever want a shield.
I come from a very old school that taught me to value things.
Thus always take care! That's my motto!

D

Deleted member 247820

I could ask, why does anyone want a shield of any description? So I will!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some people feel better having it on as some people feel they don't need one.

It's really personal preference really.

D

Deleted member 247820

That's true!

But I like the slidey (?) feel au natural!

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My friend...I wasn't really lucky putting on my zagg cover on my droid phone a few years ago. Just the thought of the spray going on the screen and then applying the cover. The bubbles were all over and I was assured they would go away. Well it didn't really. I left it the way it was for the 2 years I had it. Never did like the drag feel it had when scrolling.

Needless to say, the only screen protectors I will get now is the Moshi. Easy on in seconds and no bubbles.

Yeah - it just doesnt work right. I see people with them all the time and just about every on ehas bubbles, trapped lint, lined up wrong, peeling, etc, etc. The crazy thing is that ZAGG claims they have all these awards for their stuff. Im wondering if shareholders of ZAGG are the ones awarding the trophies? Bleh!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, yes-all of that. By the end...I looked at that zagg cover on my phone and all around it was lint. It curled up on the edges...and periodically I had to keep smoothing it down. I am sure it was me that goofed it up. My brother actually had two done by Best Buy for iPods he bought for his girls. They were perfect...not bubbles!

Anyways, I hope she got it worked out in the end!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In defence of the Invisible Shield...

1) Zagg offer a 45 day no quibble money back guarantee on their website - If you don't like it, make use of this!
2) Zagg offer a lifetime replacement (you pay the postage) if you shield becomes damaged, scratched, etc. - Folks SHOULD make use of this!

I have been a long time user of IS on just about all my gadgets, and I do admit to being a bit of a fanboi. Yes, I concede that the installation is tricky, particularly the first time you do it, but any good screen protector needs to be applied with due care and attention.

I currently have a perfect installation front and back on my iPhone 5 and that's all the protection it needs. Yes, it's true, they can be susceptible to peeling corners, and the degree to which this effects you can be impacted by all sorts of things. In my experience, a shield will last a minimum of 6 months, and often up to a year. I've used plenty of "standard" screen protectors, and they can need replacement just as often if you happen to catch a corner, or scratch them with keys etc. (scratching is something which IS is pretty much immune to).

Since the IS is a wet install there is no way that the end result should include air bubbles. That is one of the primary advantages of a wet install. Performed carefully, and given 24+ hours to cure / dry, you should end up without a single blemish under the screen. Another advantage to the wet install is the opportunity to "get it right" by sliding, moving, and perfecting, which dry installs are much less forgiving with... Yes, it takes a little practice, but there are lots of very good YouTube clips with which to learn!

I'm not saying IS is for everyone. It is definitely an acquired taste, particularly due to the "orange peel" effect which many folks don't like. But, I think they should be given a fair crack due to the 2 points at the start of this post. If you don't like it, they give you your money back! You can't say fairer that that ;)

There are lots of us Zagg fans out there, so to suggest it is a bit of a scam by shareholders is a little disingenuous IMHO, a confirmed InvisibleShield Fanboi!

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I get another zagg screen protector-i will have BestBuy install it for me. I had watched the instruct videos and still did it wrong. It didn't help that the liquid leaked out of the spray bottle upon delivery. As I said-my brother's turned out perfect, so
Def user error on my part.;)

cshmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did same thing trying to install it, totally botched to the point where I had throw the thing out without ever getting it on there. Waste of money, better to roll the dice without it

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchase a ArmorSuit protector and the application procedure for this is amazing. It covers my whole screen for the iPad 3 device. I think I've found a protector worth standing behind. They also give you detail information on how to apply it on the box. Simple instruction and Life Time guarantee, enough talking just take my money! Best protector I've tried so far!!!!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Real iPad users don't need no stinkin shield. There, I have said it. No shields. All you do is empower those people trying to sell you a sheet of plastic. Over priced plastic. Shields. What's next, you guys start wearing frilly dresses and pantaloon shields? If shields were good, I would have one.

I say forget the shield and rescue a kitten from the pound. The problem is, I have 23 devices with no shields but I do have 23 rescue kittens. We sing accapella in the shower.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are lots of us Zagg fans out there, so to suggest it is a bit of a scam by shareholders is a little disingenuous IMHO, a confirmed InvisibleShield Fanboi!

I will soon release my own line of shields and they are scented, too. Make your iDevice smell like a Blackberry or a robot.

They are Micro bonded with Titanium based and proprietary "Strong-O-Coating Ultra" that NASA uses on the space shuttle engine nozzles and my shields are not only tear free, but micro-encapsulated with Type 4 Miraculobond polymer. AND they will also solve the global warming issue. We will donate a dollar of every sale to the Save a Kitten foundation endorsed by Al Ghore.

They will be manufactured in a way that "they do not want you to know about" in a 1005% green factory and every purchase carries a guarantee that meets and exceeds something important. Super highest possible tech.

And they are NSA proof and hard radiation hardened with a patented process I ripped off from the patent searches.

You also get a free subscription to my Face Book page at no extra charge except $13.00 postage and handling.

Watch kickstarter for the announcement.

Finally, a picture of me holding a kitten and a banjo is on every box.

Send me money before midnight and I'll double the order and you get two tickets to a performance with friends. Ozzie, me and Justin Bieber, live in my basement. Unless I forget.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will soon release my own line of shields and they are scented, too. Make your iDevice smell like a Blackberry or a robot.

They are Micro bonded with Titanium based and proprietary "Strong-O-Coating Ultra" that NASA uses on the space shuttle engine nozzles and my shields are not only tear free, but micro-encapsulated with Type 4 Miraculobond polymer. AND they will also solve the global warming issue. We will donate a dollar of every sale to the Save a Kitten foundation endorsed by Al Ghore.

They will be manufactured in a way that "they do not want you to know about" in a 1005% green factory and every purchase carries a guarantee that meets and exceeds something important. Super highest possible tech.

And they are NSA proof and hard radiation hardened with a patented process I ripped off from the patent searches.

You also get a free subscription to my Face Book page at no extra charge except $13.00 postage and handling.

Watch kickstarter for the announcement.

Finally, a picture of me holding a kitten and a banjo is on every box.

Send me money before midnight and I'll double the order and you get two tickets to a performance with friends. Ozzie, me and Justin Bieber, live in my basement. Unless I forget.

Where do i sign up Bob? Id like my iPad to have that "new iphone" scent on the front, and "beef lasagne" on the rear please.

Most reactions

Latest posts