What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts of iBook, Kindle and Nook apps?

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering what the forum's thoughts of these three apps are? I have all 3 on my iPad and seem to gravitate to Kindle for books and Nook for magazines and haven't used iBooks yet. Am I missing something or can someone please help me sharing their experiences on the differences of the e-reader apps? I hope that makes sense?:confused:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without a doubt, Amazon has the best selection of any vendor out there. Unfortunately, their reading app is pretty much just average at best. OTOH, the selection of iBooks stinks, but as a reading app, I really like it. I think I have purchased one book from Apple, but I do use it a lot for "generic" ePub books.

I have the Nook and Borders apps, but since most of the magazines I read are things like trade journals or specialty "hobby" magazines, my only choice is reading them on paper.

If you like classics, then another "must have" app is Stanza. There are links to a couple of content sellers, but the big draw is Project Gutenberg. They have over 33,000 public domain books that are 100% legally free. They also have a link to SmashWords which is for self-publishers.

But recently, Amazon's relationship with Apple has been called into question, but that is just a rumor... for now.

OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without a doubt, Amazon has the best selection of any vendor out there. Unfortunately, their reading app is pretty much just average at best. OTOH, the selection of iBooks stinks, but as a reading app, I really like it. I think I have purchased one book from Apple, but I do use it a lot for "generic" ePub books.

I have the Nook and Borders apps, but since most of the magazines I read are things like trade journals or specialty "hobby" magazines, my only choice is reading them on paper.

If you like classics, then another "must have" app is Stanza. There are links to a couple of content sellers, but the big draw is Project Gutenberg. They have over 33,000 public domain books that are 100% legally free. They also have a link to SmashWords which is for self-publishers.

But recently, Amazon's relationship with Apple has been called into question, but that is just a rumor... for now.

Thank you for the thoughts...I heard that rumor and was scared for a brief moment...I hope it doesn't become fact... :eek:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 and I see eye to eye on this one. All I have to add is that even though I have GoodReader I use iBooks to read PDF because I make my own carving detail catalogs.

I also use Kobo. Which app to use depends on my ebook shopping.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with 1991-C4, across the board. I get iBooks when I can find them, because I like the app better. I use Kindle as much if not more, because of selection and legacy books from before I broke my Kindle. I have the Nook and Borders apps, but almost never use them.

Stanza is a good catchall for free books. It can also read older .mobi and .prc books, including the DRM ones you might have purchased from eReader.com or Ficitonwise.com It takes a bit of setting up, but if like me you used to read books on a Palm PDA, it's worth it.

Most reactions