What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about upgrading

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently have a 16gb WiFi, and I'm thinking of using some of my tax return to buy a 32gb WiFi. I'm certain I could still get $400 for my 16gb, because it's in like new condition and has the original box and bag.

I have a 32gb iPod touch, and I can have all of my apps and music on it with no issues. I'd like to have no issues with having to constantly worry about space, and being able to have all my movies and apps available to me would be nice.

What do y'all think?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that's a reasonable thing. Have you thought about waiting for the 2? Of course then the 16 1st will decrease in value. If you're generally happy with yours now like I am with mine but just need more memory I say go for it. I bought my husband the 32 wifi since I think its the best compromise. I bought the 64 last May but even with lots of stuff on it, I think I overbought this time.

Diane

OP
T

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have thought about waiting for the 2, however I'm not really interested in what it has to offer. I have 3 cameras already, and the CCK so I can transfer pics from my touch to my pad. There also is no retina on it. I'm mainly looking for the extra space. I'm very happy with my iPad so far. I just need more space for stuff.

I have 750 songs, 107 apps, 1 music video and 265 pictures...I have 3.5gb left.

Reaction score
32GB might not be enough for having all your movies with you. My 32Gb iPad is always full, even though there are never more than 3 movies on at a time.

If you really feel like 16GB is too small, then yes, upgrade.

But personally, I would feel like I left something out, upgrading just a few month before the iPad 2 release. I guess it depends for how long you had your iPad. If you had it for over 3 month, then waiting a little longer for the iPad 2 to come along would seem to be the more sensible approach.
This train of thought is obviously assuming that you live in the US, or are able to get the new iPad at launch, otherwise upgrading now would be the best option.

The other question is, when you say you have 750 songs on your iPad. Do you have more songs in your iTunes library, or are those all the ones you have?

Last edited:
OP
T

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
32GB might not be enough for having all your movies with you. My 32Gb iPad is always full, even though there are never more than 3 movies on at a time.

If you really feel like 16GB is too small, then yes, upgrade.

But personally, I would feel like I left something out, upgrading just a few month before the iPad 2 release. I guess it depends for how long you had your iPad. If you had it for over 3 month, then waiting a little longer for the iPad 2 to come along would seem to be the more sensible approach.
This train of thought is obviously assuming that you live in the US, or are able to get the new iPad at launch, otherwise upgrading now would be the best option.

The other question is, when you say you have 750 songs on your iPad. Do you have more songs in your iTunes library, or are those all the ones you have?

1st question: I've had it since October.
2: I live in the US
3: I have over 1500 on my PC, but I had to remove a bunch to fit.

Now, in theory, since I have all my music on my iPod touch, I COULD just simply not sync any music to the iPad, and add about 5gb to my space available...bringing it to 8-9gb free.

Hmm. That could work, and save me space, as I really don't listen to music on this as much as the iPod touch.

Opinions?

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just going to say... Do you really need all the music on the iPad? I don't really see the iPad as a mp3 player, it just isn't practical. For video I woould use an app to stream from pc/Mac unless your talking out on the road....even then you could maybe upload (home) movies to a site like YouTube, other than that go through your apps and see how much you really need them all and do some house cleaning.

Personally I can't see why anyone with an iPad would want to drop that chunk of cash on a ipad2, I just don't the difference as being significant enough to make the switch.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade def wait till iPad 2 it will have a larger base memory for the same price.

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think i would wait a few more months for the iPad 2.

Reaction score
If you estimate to sell the 16GB version for $400 and then buy a 32GB Apple refurb version, which currently sell for $500, the upgrade would only cost $100.

Now, the question is, are the extra 16GB worth the $100.
You mentioned that all your music is already on your iPod. So one of the questions you might want to ask yourselves is, how often you are in a position, where you have the iPad with you, but not the iPod.

OP
T

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
If you estimate to sell the 16GB version for $400 and then buy a 32GB Apple refurb version, which currently sell for $500, the upgrade would only cost $100.

Now, the question is, are the extra 16GB worth the $100.
You mentioned that all your music is already on your iPod. So one of the questions you might want to ask yourselves is, how often you are in a position, where you have the iPad with you, but not the iPod.

I have the iPod with me more than my iPad. I also listen on the iPod much more than the iPad, as I have it connected to my radio in my car and work truck.

OP
T

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, an update.

I sold my 16 for 200 yesterday, and used it towards a new 64gb 1st gen. I picked up the 64gb for $499. Couldn't pass that up. With all my music, video, and apps, I'm at 35gb free.

Very happy with it right now.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, an update.

I sold my 16 for 200 yesterday, and used it towards a new 64gb 1st gen. I picked up the 64gb for $499. Couldn't pass that up. With all my music, video, and apps, I'm at 35gb free.

Very happy with it right now.

good deal there, you should be happy with that!

Most reactions

Latest posts