What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

think my ipad has been hacked

mamof3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
typed into my ipad this morning back pain and clicked on an image, it opened a new pagr and screen was black and up popped "welcome to hacking world" there was lots of numbers scanning at the top of the page in the address part, I was on It for about 20 seconds before I closed it down.
what can I do to check if I have been hacked .I have turned off wifi and Bluetooth, I didn't use the ipad for anything other than browsing games and facebook, I didn't store any passwords on it.
is there anything I can do ?
thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Just because a website says you've been hacked, doesn't mean you've been hacked. Very unlike there is anything they can do you an ipad from a website. The hacking is to get you to worry about being hacked, and then wasting time on it. On...and the best plan of all is to keep away from the various and sundry random websites out there. endless clicking on links is how most people get in trouble on the internet.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless there was a pop-up saying "<insert distributor> wants to install <insert utility> using localhost 127.0.0.1" and you clicked Install, or, if the person has physical access to your device, it's near impossible to get hacked really, so there's nothing to worry about.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree with the others. It's extremely unlikely that simply being on the website did anything. It sounds like a typical scareware scam, meant to trick you into installing malicious software, in order to fix a fictional problem. Very few of these sites are aimed at iOS users, so even if you bit and tapped on a link or dialog to install something, it probably did nothing.

Hold in mind the only reason I'm using words like unlikely and probably is that nothing is truly impossible. Any computer can be hacked if the attacker is willing to work hard enough, it's just that confirmed instances of it (outside of hacker conventions and proof of concept demos) are rare to non-existant.

There are a few ad related hacks, more like bugs in the ad company's javascript than intentional attacks, that can lead to strange behavior (mostly jumping into the App Store whenever and add for certain apps show). These do not compromise your iPad's data, just cause a lot of inconvenience and bad language.

The only real precaution worth taking, and it's probably overkill in this instance, is to go into Settings > Safari and clear you Data and Cookies. It is unlikely that any cookie installed by the site could cause harm, but this is pretty much the only thing a site can do without requiring user interaction.

BTW, your Cookies permission should be set to block third party sites by default, that being the best compromise between security and function.

Most reactions

Latest posts