What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I detect if a keylogger has been put on my iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JElk41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recieved an iPad 2 for Christmas from someone but recently there have been some strange things happening that are not easily explained. I have had several of my accounts hacked and I get the feeling that the hacking has come via someone monitoring my iPad activity. Any dialogue is appreciated.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums......I think that would be impossible to install a keylogger unless it was jail broKen and even then I would be surprised it could be done. I suggest you restore the iPad to factory state on your
c or Mac

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think anyone could have installed any malware on your iPad unless they jailbroke it. Without jailbreaking, all apps have to come from the iTunes Store. There's no way a keylogger would be possible given how apps work in iOS, much less get past Apple's examination process. So I don't think you need worry. If you're really concerned, though, connect your iPad to your own computer and perform as restore as a new device. That will erase all the content on the iPad and start it afresh.

Ah, I see I've been beaten to it :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if the iPad is jail broken?

It will have an app called Cydia. (Note I do not have any experience jailbreaking, but I believe Cydia is the "unofficial app store" so it should be available on all jailbroken devices.)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes Kevin is right if you were Jailbroken you would have Cydia.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi signal that you use on your iPad can be intercepted very easily. Even the 3G/4G signal can be intercepted. That should be the first thing to look at. Another thing is that various pertinent bits of your personal information can be sorted out from various sources, and put together to use against you. Once out in the world, the only thing you can do is change all your passwords.

OP
J

JElk41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog...how would that work with a wifi signal being intercepted? In other words...what could someone do if they were able to intercept the wifi signal. My concern is that the ipad I recieved was from someone who would have an interest in "keeping tabs" on me. I've racked my brain as to how some of the things that have happened have happened and the only thing I can come up with is that the iPad was "bugged" somehow.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an app designed for parents I think to keep tabs on children's use of iPad:

Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

JElk41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@followthesapper...YES...I'm aware of that...that's why I'm inquiring about this. Could it be possible the person that gave me the iPad loaded the keylogger on it before they gave it to me and then packaged it to look like it hadn't been opened?

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What iOS version are you on?, if you are on 5.1, then the pad cannot be jailbroken yet and the keylogger app requires a jailbroken device.

If you are 5.01 or below, then it is possible your device has been jailbroken.

AnonymousNoOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bottom line is your iPad has to be jailbroken. Apple will not let that happen with their iOS.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
JElk41 said:
I recieved an iPad 2 for Christmas from someone but recently there have been some strange things happening that are not easily explained. I have had several of my accounts hacked and I get the feeling that the hacking has come via someone monitoring my iPad activity. Any dialogue is appreciated.

I think it is good to have this technical discussion going on here. I hope that JElk41 can lighten up the darkness telling us if or not the device is jailbroken.
However, I think therre are some basic questions not asked/ not answered!

1. First of all, JElk41, who would have such an interest in investing in a christmas present just to spy out some accounts? ( I mean, honestly, unless the person who presented it to you got it from a doubtful source, you should seriously consider what a person would present you a bugged device, or????)
2. Can you be sure that the hacking did no t happen by other means like phishing emails etc.?
3. How secure is/ are your password(s)?
4. A Do you regularly synch you iPad with your computer?
4. B Do you use your very own Apple ID?
4. C Does the person who gave you the iPad synch with the same computer/ have access to the computer?
5. Do you regularly use WIFI networks without encryption (as free hotspots etc.)?

To be honest, the first question I ask actually bothers me most in this story...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeh, I agree with hpulmer, it is very worrying if you know someone who would got to such lengths.

It is very easy to get phished or accounts hacked by keyloggers on public wi-fi/computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions