What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things i love and things i hate about my new ipad3

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll also want to close those out when you are done using them as they are still running in the background.

Most of what Apple has implemented is not multitasking but rather task switching.

Most background apps in IOS are not running but are 'paused' with a completely saved state. Only a few apps such as music players, GPS apps and few others are capable of actually multitasking in the background.

Also because the background tasks are in a 'saved' state, they are not consuming any CPU or memory to run, IOS is smart enough to give more memory from those background apps to your running on-screen task. For this reason you don't really need to close those apps down ever as memory management is fully automatic.

Occasionally, I do close out my applications or reboot the device - but Apple does not recommend doing that for no reason.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And these apps which are in "saved state" open instantly to exactly where you left off. I personally love it and could care less about "true multitasking" as long as it works as good as it does it's great for me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Way too much has been made of the advantages of "true multitasking", especially on mobile devices. Obviously, Nav, music, and audiobooks are situation where it is good to have more than one task going on at one time...but I think in general it needs to be controled. Otherwise, everything is sipping battery power and the OS suffers and becomes sluggish, like on some Android tablets that have more memory and processor speed than iPad 2.

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah but even Docs to Go just can't properly handle a massive spreadsheet! I don't know if it's the amount of complex formulas or the staggering amount of columns but Excel docs of this nature just seem to have no light at the end of the tunnel for iPad tablets.
the ipad dosen't handle excel docs well at all. check my posted youtube video on this thread>>>
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/68935-dropbox.html#post493665
i had the same issue i even went to the apple store but with no luck, your best bet in my opinion is to get an android based tab. and you will see how smooth the android tab is in compairisson to the ipad. now my excel docs run just as if thier were on my desktop. just do what did give that ipad to the kiddies and get yourself a real tab. jmho.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
phonegeek said:
the ipad dosen't handle excel docs well at all. check my posted youtube video on this thread>>>
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/68935-dropbox.html#post493665
i had the same issue i even went to the apple store but with no luck, your best bet in my opinion is to get an android based tab. and you will see how smooth the android tab is in compairisson to the ipad. now my excel docs run just as if thier were on my desktop. just do what did give that ipad to the kiddies and get yourself a real tab. jmho.

I have a laptop for that, it's just not a problem that iPad was meant to solve. I also find it's best to use a hammer to drive nails. . Yes though, by all means see how smooooth an android tablet is for running spreadsheets ;-)

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of what Apple has implemented is not multitasking but rather task switching.

Most background apps in IOS are not running but are 'paused' with a completely saved state. Only a few apps such as music players, GPS apps and few others are capable of actually multitasking in the background.

Also because the background tasks are in a 'saved' state, they are not consuming any CPU or memory to run, IOS is smart enough to give more memory from those background apps to your running on-screen task. For this reason you don't really need to close those apps down ever as memory management is fully automatic.

Occasionally, I do close out my applications or reboot the device - but Apple does not recommend doing that for no reason.

I must be confusing my iPhone with my Android phone, one of the two drained my battery pretty quickly when I would leave particular apps running in the background.

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like-pretty much everything....
Hate- u can't change the theme like the wallpaper, and also shoulda came with speakers on both sides.

Most reactions

Latest posts