What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thin Nib Stylus Warning

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Several companies have recently introduced active styluses with thin points. Two of which I am aware are the Adonit Jot Script and the Lynktec Aspire. One of them (I forget which) calls this system "pixelpoint technology". It apparently uses a mathematical algorithm in an attempt to work around the inherent inaccuracy of the touch screen.

Seems like just what the doctor ordered-until you try it out. I bought each of the aforementioned styluses and put them through their paces over a period of time. Both suffer from the same set of problems:

1. Poor inking speed.

2. Offset between the point where the nib contacts the screen and the ink representation. (This can be pretty huge, and it varies between portrait and landscape modes.)

3. Skipped strokes or portions of a stroke, particularly the initial portions.

4. Random power shutoff.

The two companies mentioned here do not acknowledge these problems and are even introducing new models, apparently with the same problems. They claim the problems are due to the apps one uses them with, but they occur for all the apps I have tested (quite a few in fact) though the severity does depend upon the app. Adonit claims its stylus is "tuned up" for Penultimate, but it too has severe problems of the type I have discussed.

So this note is a caveat: look carefully at user reviews before you waste money on these pricey styluses!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To be fair, Evernote advertises the Adonit Jot Script for use with the Penultimate app, and it works well enough there, for what it is supposed to do.

I've tried it in various drawing apps, and it is less useful there. Penultimate applies smoothing and known offsets to the pen, so your writing looks good. Drawing apps don't, and you can see wavering in the line, due most likely to instability in the capacitance, and a problem with point accuracy when the tablet the wrong way.

I can't say I'm upset by this, since the stylus does what it said it would do. It was my own, self created, hopes that were squashed. Something that I knew might happen, even as I decided to buy it anyway.

I haven't tried the Aspire.

I'll wait for the next generation of active/bluetooth styluses before I give the technology another try. In the mean time my finger still works, and the old cheap styluses when I feel the need for a more pencil like experience.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be fair, Evernote advertises the Adonit Jot Script for use with the Penultimate app, and it works well enough there, for what it is supposed to do.

I've tried it in various drawing apps, and it is less useful there. Penultimate applies smoothing and known offsets to the pen, so your writing looks good. Drawing apps don't, and you can see wavering in the line, due most likely to instability in the capacitance, and a problem with point accuracy when the tablet the wrong way.

I can't say I'm upset by this, since the stylus does what it said it would do. It was my own, self created, hopes that were squashed. Something that I knew might happen, even as I decided to buy it anyway.

I haven't tried the Aspire.

I'll wait for the next generation of active/bluetooth styluses before I give the technology another try. In the mean time my finger still works, and the old cheap styluses when I feel the need for a more pencil like experience.

Well---can't say I agree with your assessment of Penultimate. Adonit claims it works well with that app, but I find the offset and inking to be terrible. I must admit that I take care with my handwriting (actually, a hybrid of cursive and printing, but mostly printing), so am probably more critical than the average user.

But what bothers me about these companies is the fact that they simply refuse to recognize the problems and make an honest effort to solve them. Instead, tgey opt to continue to ship an inferior product at a premium price-and to even announce newer products using tge same old inferior technology.

If you don't accept my word for it, simply go to the Adonit website and check their user forum, searching on "problems."

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose there might be some variation in product quality. I had no problem using Penultimate. Or more accurately, it worked better than any other styluses I've used with Penultimate (mostly cheap ones). Then again, I barely used Penultimate; which means the Jot Script does not get used much, being good for just that one thing.

As for the forums, I'll take your word for it.

I don't doubt your experience, or that of others. I just offered my own rather lukewarm opinion to round out the story.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used a non BT Adonit Classic Jot thin nub stylus for years and find it works extremely well in all my handwriting apps (Noteshelf and Noteability primarily but also Goodreader), photography apps like Photogene for selections for masking, filters, etc and art apps. Its very like using a good ballpoint, it glides and writes without noticeable lag. I've considered the several BT styluses but none of them work in all my apps so I continue with the Jot until there's a bit more standardization--if ever.

Most reactions

Latest posts