What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official I got my iPad 2 Thread!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
qwerty12345 said:
This is getting interesting ..... My wife and have separate Apple ID one for each iPad. Now, what do we register the iMac with? A new Apple ID or re-use our existing Apple IDs , one for each account? Isn't this forcing me to buy the apps twice no matter what?

Good question. Depending on how much you have already spent on apps, it may be worth getting rid of one of your accounts, and having the same AppleID on both iPads.

If you choose to keep both IDs, you log onto your account in iTunes, under the Store menu, do your syncing etc, and then log off. Then your wife can do the same.

Here's where things get sketchy for me, because my iTunes only has one AppleID, but I believe you will need separate libraries of music etc as each media file is associated with one, and only one, AppleID.

In your shoes, I would keep only one ID, swallow the loss of cash that you have paid for the apps, and go forward with one ID and shared apps and media. In the long term, this will be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Lets say you both want Pages. It will cost you $10 per AppleID plus $20 for the iMac version. So you are saving $10 right away. Then you can choose to sync all three versions, if that's what you want to do, so you type out a doc on the iMac, it syncs to both iPads and your wife can read what you have written, decides she needs to tidy it up, and makes her changes. Meanwhile you leave the house, stop for a coffee and pull out your iPad to add something to your doc, and the changes your wife made are already on your copy. It's a sweet system.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
qwerty12345 said:
My wife and I have each our own iPads. We're looking to replaced our PC with an iMac . Is there a neat way to keep our files and aps organized such that we do not erased each our files or apps when we sync our iPads to the computer? Any pointer would be appreciated . Thanks

My wife and I both have our own apple accounts on same Macbook. This is how we are able to share apps/music/etc. apple let's you authorize up to 5 units to share content per apple Id. So first I buy the content thunder my iTunes account. Then I disconnect my device and log off my iTunes account. Next, I reconnect her device and allow iTunes to recognize it. Then I log into my iTunes account again and go to my Purchased list and download any app/sing/book onto her iTunes account. When I try to sync her device, iTunes will ask for my password. Once I enter the password, iTunes will then inform me that this machine is # X of 5 authorized devices. I click Continue and voila! I just put my purchases onto her device and her iTunes account and no double payments. And completely legal.

Only hiccup is for updates to any item I purchased, she has to log off as her and log in as me. But it's not national security so I do share my password with her.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jncbankston said:
Only hiccup is for updates to any item I purchased, she has to log off as her and log in as me. But it's not national security so I do share my password with her.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

My daughter has 1 of her apps on my iPad, when the update comes through it will just pop up with her account and I just insert the password. I don't have to sign out of my account and into hers to do this. Very simple indeed!

qwerty12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Good question. Depending on how much you have already spent on apps, it may be worth getting rid of one of your accounts, and having the same AppleID on both iPads.

If you choose to keep both IDs, you log onto your account in iTunes, under the Store menu, do your syncing etc, and then log off. Then your wife can do the same.

Here's where things get sketchy for me, because my iTunes only has one AppleID, but I believe you will need separate libraries of music etc as each media file is associated with one, and only one, AppleID.

In your shoes, I would keep only one ID, swallow the loss of cash that you have paid for the apps, and go forward with one ID and shared apps and media. In the long term, this will be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Lets say you both want Pages. It will cost you $10 per AppleID plus $20 for the iMac version. So you are saving $10 right away. Then you can choose to sync all three versions, if that's what you want to do, so you type out a doc on the iMac, it syncs to both iPads and your wife can read what you have written, decides she needs to tidy it up, and makes her changes. Meanwhile you leave the house, stop for a coffee and pull out your iPad to add something to your doc, and the changes your wife made are already on your copy. It's a sweet system.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Good reply. I like to FaceTime my wife when out-of-town. Doesn't it required a separate Apple ID to do this? I note in later thread that we can register up to 5 devices to one account. We shared our passwords but in most instances we do not use the same apps so it may not be a problem. Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
qwerty12345 said:
Good reply. I like to FaceTime my wife when out-of-town. Doesn't it required a separate Apple ID to do this? I note in later thread that we can register up to 5 devices to one account. We shared our passwords but in most instances we do not use the same apps so it may not be a problem. Thanks

No, it does not. You just have to change the "Receive at..." address on one device.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

sintink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Nice!!! Congrats!!! I remember someone winning a whole Apple / Verizon basket which included an iPad. I never win anything. WAHHHH!!! Lol.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

It's my first time to got the prize though.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just picked up the IPad 2 at the beginning of this month. I mostly use it to browse the web and a little YouTube so there was no need for the extra horsepower in the 3 or 4. So far I'm loving it. I had the original IPad awhile ago but gave it to a family member last year when I got the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus. The extra screen real estate on the 2 is great compared to my 7 inch tablets though. Also considering an IPad mini later this year but we'll see...

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the IPad 2 on a visit to Singapore a few days back. Cost S$500. My first appple product. Really like the screen, size and display. It is a WiFi version only, mainly for kids and maybe Facebook.

BobZart

iPF Noob
Reaction score

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yay! just got my White iPad2 yesterday, ordered a Strawberry Pink buddy skin case at Minisuit and i sooooo love it :)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
alicepattinson said:
Yay! just got my White iPad2 yesterday, ordered a Strawberry Pink buddy skin case at Minisuit and i sooooo love it :)

Nice, congrats and enjoy!! I know she will.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
just got my 16gb black at the best buy, and canceled my online order.

got in line at 3:30, got my ticket at 4:30, then out the door by 5:30.

i was 30-something in line and total at 5 was probably 100-120 people. this best buy was well stocked.

Don't understand any of these posts. What new ipad2? Do u mean the mini cuz I had no problem getting mine at BB 6 months ago

Most reactions