What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Ipad Expandable Storage

Is your 16GB iPad full/almost full?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Demolisher23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've looked into hyperdrive airstash camera connection kit ect ect..

I was just looking to use the camera connection kit with a large SD card for the cheapest expandable storage using iFile when the new iPad jailbreak comes out this month.

I do not use my iPad for many photos, or video even, mainly apps. All these expandable storage options talk about expanding the storage for pictures and video, however as all new iPad owners know, retina display apps are ridiculously large up to 2 GBs but they are so damn awesome. So my question is are you able to store apps on these expandable storage units?

Confirmed can be done using iFile on a jailbroken iPad with a camera connection kit and sd card I got this one for 3 buck free shipping and all
http://www.amazon.com/Newgen-CRIPAD...BV68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338343557&sr=8-2

Open iFile and cut the application folder and paste it in the flashdrive folder then link it back to application folder and it works :)

Last edited:

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Gabriel stated, apps can ONLY be stored directly on the iPad. They can't be stored elsewhere. For example, a game like Infinity Blade 2 is almost 1 gig and NOVA 3 is a whopping 1.5 gigs. They can only be downloaded to the iPad and played from there. Apps that size will quickly take up memory, and before you know it, the device is full. It will only take a few apps to fill up,a 16g gig iPad. Even the 64 gig can be used up pretty quickly if the user stores a lot of pics, music, movies, and apps. The only work around is to delete apps to free up space. You can always reinstall the app later from the app store if you need to.

Apps that use and manipulate media (such as iMovie and Garage Band) again can only be stored and run on the iPad, but the edited media itself: music, movies, photos, can be stored externally via cloud or iTunes transfer. The camera kit for SD cards works like a 1-way street. Picture and movie files can be uploaded to the iPad, but you can't transfer files from the iPad to the SD card. Same goes for the external "hard drives". I'm not sure if the limitations apply to a jail broken iPad (I don't have that experience).

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
As Gabriel stated, apps can ONLY be stored directly on the iPad. They can't be stored elsewhere. For example, a game like Infinity Blade 2 is almost 1 gig and NOVA 3 is a whopping 1.5 gigs. They can only be downloaded to the iPad and played from there. Apps that size will quickly take up memory, and before you know it, the device is full. It will only take a few apps to fill up,a 16g gig iPad. Even the 64 gig can be used up pretty quickly if the user stores a lot of pics, music, movies, and apps. The only work around is to delete apps to free up space. You can always reinstall the app later from the app store if you need to.

Apps that use and manipulate media (such as iMovie and Garage Band) again can only be stored and run on the iPad, but the edited media itself: music, movies, photos, can be stored externally via cloud or iTunes transfer. The camera kit for SD cards works like a 1-way street. Picture and movie files can be uploaded to the iPad, but you can't transfer files from the iPad to the SD card. Same goes for the external "hard drives". I'm not sure if the limitations apply to a jail broken iPad (I don't have that experience).

Good info there, but if you go to the link I gave in the previous post you will see that the one way street for external storage is no longer true, in particular, check out my review/guide of the CloudFTP.

The Archangel

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Good info there, but if you go to the link I gave in the previous post you will see that the one way street for external storage is no longer true, in particular, check out my review/guide of the CloudFTP.

The Archangel

Thanks Archangel! This thread actually piqued my curiosity. I clicked on your link after i posted and read your review. I also noticed your post on another thread in the Jailbreak forums regarding CloudFTP. Good stuff, I'm gonna seriously look into this!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is new stuff coming all the time, the boundaries are changing constantly so it is hard for anyone to stay completely on top of it. I think I just chanced across a mention of CloudFTP in a thread on these forums and I just had to try it out.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using the Air Stash, which is based on SD cards, you can both read files from it and write files to it. You can move pictures to the ipad from the Air Stash and you can takes pictures from the traditional places that the iPad stores pictures than then store them on the Air Stash.

It is definitely a two-way street now and there are several options out there. Frankly, even though the CCK only cost $30, I think I'd save that $30 and get one of the other options as they offer a lot more functionality.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Frankly, even though the CCK only cost $30, I think I'd save that $30 and get one of the other options as they offer a lot more functionality.

Agreed, there are so many better options now and it can only get better and better from here on in!

The Archangel

OP
D

Demolisher23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confirmed, It can infact be done with a camera connection kit, apps can be stored using iFile the jailbroken app just tried it and expanded my storage 16 extra gigs

OneZeoN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:) good to know

im getting my 16gb ipad 3 today...should be enough space for me for awhile at least

tiffy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demolisher23 said:
So I've looked into hyperdrive airstash camera connection kit ect ect..

I was just looking to use the camera connection kit with a large SD card for the cheapest expandable storage using iFile when the new iPad jailbreak comes out this month.

I do not use my iPad for many photos, or video even, mainly apps. All these expandable storage options talk about expanding the storage for pictures and video, however as all new iPad owners know, retina display apps are ridiculously large up to 2 GBs but they are so damn awesome. So my question is are you able to store apps on these expandable storage units?

Confirmed can be done using iFile on a jailbroken iPad with a camera connection kit and sd card I got this one for 3 buck free shipping and all http://www.amazon.com/Newgen-CRIPAD51-Card-Reader-Apple/dp/B00568BV68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338343557&sr=8-2

Open iFile and cut the application folder and paste it in the flashdrive folder then link it back to application folder and it works :)

Can you give a more detailed description on how to do this?? I'm very anxious to know.

Never mind I figured it out!

Last edited:

Bob1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More storage

How do you move data from your iPad folder stored on PC to cloud FTP?, so you will have more storage on iPad 3.I read some were you can keep the app on the pad and the data is stored on a external drive. Only have 1 Gig left.

Most reactions

Latest posts