What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad is just too heavy! :(

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a fair comparison if you're talking about ebook readers.

I, for instance, wouldn't get enough use out of a kindle as I don't read enough novels and plenty of the books I do read aren't that mainstream. I do think the kindle is a valid choice for people though - much the same as a Shuffle is an option when discussing an iPod touch.

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it's too heavy to hold with one hand while reading a book. I do switch hands periodically, but in my opinion (not that mine matters much) not too heavy!

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own both my iPad and a Sony 505 book reader. As book readers go the iPad is heavy, but for me I got it to do all the stuff my book reader doesn't. A far trade off the weight to functionality for me, plus I read on my book reader. :)

OP
F

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back last weekend from Dragon Con in Atlanta. Talked to 5 people who had iPads.

Including Lou Ferrigno aka THE HULK from the old TV show.

I talked with him and he likes his a lot--recommended the 64 GB. He certainly had no problem with the weight since he looks just like he did when he played the THE HULK.

Last edited:

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are used to reading paperbacks, it is probably to heavy. But I have many books which are much heavier than the iPad.

Agreed. I've read multiple books that are hardcover that have weighed the same if not more than the iPad itself.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first got my iPad and picked it up I thought - wow it's heavier than I thought it would be - whatever that means. Now I would much rather give up a finger than my iPad.

I was a Kindle user before the iPad - and I've got the Kindle right here. When you compare the two - the Kindle wins - when it comes to being an e-book reader. Thing is I wanted more than just an e-book reader. I wanted something that I could take out of town without having to tote a laptop around.

To each their own - but perspective is a big difference here.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are a voracious reader, like me, then I can see how you would notice the iPad is a little heavy. I have both a Kindle and an iPad . I did buy a couple of books for the iPad, but haven't read them yet. For all the reading I do, the Kindle is perfect. For all the web surfing I do, the movies I like to watch etc the iPad is phenomenal.

I'm glad there are all these competing devices, keep the companies on their toes and drives prices down. When I bought my first Kindle, I paid $399 for it..when I upgrade to the Kindle 3, I will pay under $200.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back last weekend from Dragon Con in Atlanta. Talked to 5 people who had iPads.

I talked with him and he likes his a lot--recommended the 64 GB. He certainly had no problem with the weight since he looks just like he did when he played the THE HULK.

Epic.

The Hulk approves of the iPad. Nothing else matters ;)

built

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wimp.

Heavy???

At 21-22 ounces??? Seriously, dude. How do you get through life?

built

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lou and I work out at the same gym. Time passes. He looks good, but NOT like how he looked when he did the show. He appears to have some joint problems, but hey, everybody gets older. It certainly beats the alternative.

So even an older bodybuilder whose body has been through many injuries, I am sure, and all sorts of abuse, has no problem with the weight!

Last edited:

irishone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is heavy, that's why I have a case with a stand (I got it on Amazon for $7-cheap but works GREAT). I open the stand and it sits on my lap. I haven't held my IPad in my hands since I got it. It always stays in the case and is propped on my lap or propped on the table. I would get a cheap case and try that first. I am an avid reader and love reading on the IPad.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have mine because it is so incredibly light

and because I couldn't figure out how to get a kindle to play all my music, movies, send/receive my e-mail at 60 MPH, store my photos, surf the web and so on and on and on. It weights a lot less than many of my books do.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking forward to a tablet that's less than 500 grams in weight but capable of doing everything the iPad can do and more. Let's hope iPad 3 or something else will come along and meet those requirements.

But in truth, the iPad 1 is still fairly light, much lighter than many books out there. But still, I don't think the iPad will be a device you will want to read a book on at the bus stop because for that you want a much smaller screen like the Kindle that you can comfortably hold in one hand. The iPad is still a device that you will use when you are sitting or laying down because that's how it is most comfortable to use.

Most reactions

Latest posts