What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting app using 3g number

Tillymint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Is there an app i can use to text which uses my 3g number?
Thanks

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't recall their being any apps for regular SMS/text message other than the one built into iOS. Of course, the iPad does not have that functionality.

slayda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at 'TextNow'. Not sure about the 3G side of it. I use it with wi-fi & it works great & is free.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any app that could enable you to use the phone number associated with your iPad would be borderline legal, at best. That phone number is for the phone company to track your iPad's 3G account, not an activate phone number. As such, activating SMS service on that number without the carrier knowing it would (at the very least) violate your terms of service.

Understand that SMS does not use the same data network/services as your 3G or LTE data plan. It's a service that rides on the standard cellular phone network. That's why it works with just about every cell phone out there, smart or not.

This is why apps that offer SMS service for the iPad require you to have another number. They have to register that number with a carrier so that you can send and receive messages.

Will carriers ever integrate SMS into the data plans? Probably not. As more and more people move to smart phones with data plans, SMS is dying. Sending messages over the internet is cheaper.

glk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how does the the chrome extension MightyText on a PC (which does use your smart phone carrier's phone number assigned to an android phone)?

Would be nice if there was an app like this for the ipad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have no idea how it works.

However; you're talking about a phone with an activated phone number. There are probably any number of ways. As long as the phone carrier gets their money they don't' care what app or device uses SMS. Heck, they love it when you use SMS.

As I said before, the iPad's phone number is not active. It is just a tracking number for the carrier. It can not make phone calls using that number. SMS uses part of the basic cell phone system, and so it works even on basic phones. It is not tied to the variously data technologies being used.

No phone. No SMS.

OP
T

Tillymint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, ended up getting an unlocked phone and putting sim in that!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use an app called truphone if your still looking for an answer to this. You can make calls directly from your iPad or with a headset. Plus you can text also from your iPad with the added bonus of assigning your own mobile phones number to the app the recipient will know its from you, great if you have a cap on your text/ call package on your phone. Also great for practical jokes, I held the pad upto my ear and made a phone call like it was a giant iPhone, I got a few giggles from the kids anyway. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts