What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering

Dawn Baggott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best option to use for tethering an ipad3 to iPhone 4 and are there any charges? I am with O2 in case that helps. I'd like to use my phones data supply to use my wireless ipad if there are no wireless hotspots or it doesn't detect any. I would also like it to be a secure connection.
Thanks
D

l3p15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PdaNet looks a good choice - using at iphone at moment - let share your xperience if u used on ur ipad...

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best option to use for tethering an ipad3 to iPhone 4 and are there any charges? I am with O2 in case that helps. I'd like to use my phones data supply to use my wireless ipad if there are no wireless hotspots or it doesn't detect any. I would also like it to be a secure connection.
Thanks
D

In order to use pdanet you will need to be jailbroken. It does work great, I have used with all my android phones and now on my 4s, and since the jailbreak for IOS 5.1.1 is out, all the better.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it depends on your service; if they allow tethering and if there are any charges for it. I have a plan that allows tethering but I have 1GB of data per month on my iPhone. So tethering for streaming movies on the iPad tethered to my phone would not be a good idea as the data charges over 1GB are STEEP! However, when I'm sitting with my iPad at the lake and have no WiFi available (my iPad is WiFi only), I'll tether it to my iPhone to read email or something like this forum as they are not data intensive. Save all your APP updates and large data transfers for when you're back on a WiFi connection.

Just turn your iPhone's "hotspot" on and the iPad will recognize and connect with the password you set on the phone.

chiropharm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not have a hotspot plan on my android phone and don't want to add one for $50 month. I have installed PDAnet on my HTC evo and connected to my laptop w/o problems.

How do I "jailbreak" the Ipad to connect to PDAnet of is there another App that will connect easier?

Thanks to all,

Ed

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings -> Personal Hotspot.-> On and read directions.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to jailbreak your android phone. Download and install an app called FoxFi. It will enable the personal hotspot of your phone without either a tethering plan or jail breaking. Works great!

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

smithey1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering with O2 is a addition cost on iPhone ( just looked into it for a friend ) I'm on 3 and have tethering and all u can eat data plan at no cost. Which was one of the reason I went for a wifi only one

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Patrizia_NC said:
Those settings do not exist on iPhone 4

Tethering is entirely possible with an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3 or higher. The personal hotspot feature will,however,not become visible in the settings menu unless you activate it with your cellular service provider.

image-2133512422.jpg

image-2895168140.jpg

image-2453330469.jpgThese photos show how to access the personal hotspot feature on your iPhone once you activate the feature with your cellular service provider.

Last edited:

smithey1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The above is correct u have to activate tethering for the personal hotspot to appear. But bear in mind most charge for it

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
smithey1981 said:
The above is correct u have to activate tethering for the personal hotspot to appear. But bear in mind most charge for it

Luckily,my plan provides unlimited free tethering.

Most reactions

Latest posts