What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Testament to the power of the iPad

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have completed all setup of my new home on the Internet. I registered the domain, installed the PmWiki software platform, designed a few custom skins and uploaded all content for a full website - including a blog, a photo gallery and a wiki.

The amazing thing about this is that all aspects of this website were implemented from an Apple iPad 4. The only software that I have used, other than the default iPad apps, was FTP Client Pro, which was used to write the HTML and CSS code as well as to upload files. I do not recall the cost of this app but I can guarantee that it was worth every penny.

I don't own a desktop computer, I work from iPhones and iPads, so everything I do must be implemented from Apple products. I just wanted to say that this was all possible because of Apple's wonderful products.. and that all of this would have been much more difficult a decade ago.

Thank you, Apple!

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have completed all setup of my new home on the Internet. I registered the domain, installed the PmWiki software platform, designed a few custom skins and uploaded all content for a full website - including a blog, a photo gallery and a wiki.

The amazing thing about this is that all aspects of this website were implemented from an Apple iPad 4. The only software that I have used, other than the default iPad apps, was FTP Client Pro, which was used to write the HTML and CSS code as well as to upload files. I do not recall the cost of this app but I can guarantee that it was worth every penny.

I don't own a desktop computer, I work from iPhones and iPads, so everything I do must be implemented from Apple products. I just wanted to say that this was all possible because of Apple's wonderful products.. and that all of this would have been much more difficult a decade ago.

Thank you, Apple!

If I could put up party hats, buzzers, balloons and the like in this I would! This is a great testament to the power of iOS and the devices that run it. I am, unfortunately, married to a PC for the 8+ Terrabytes of storage (above my main operating HDD) I have for pictures, home videos, music, scanned documents etc. I will probably have weighing me down forever. Other than storage, I rarely use the PC for anything, and am saving up to try a Mac switchover.

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I could put up party hats, buzzers, balloons and the like in this I would! This is a great testament to the power of iOS and the devices that run it. I am, unfortunately, married to a PC for the 8+ Terrabytes of storage (above my main operating HDD) I have for pictures, home videos, music, scanned documents etc. I will probably have weighing me down forever. Other than storage, I rarely use the PC for anything, and am saving up to try a Mac switchover.

Yep, I'm saving my pennies for a MacBook Pro as well. Have you looked into getting an NFS device? I have been looking into the MyBook line of devices and they're quite attractive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Ardchoillie - great story! Amazed that you could setup your 'home site' w/o the need of a standard computer - CONGRATS! Please let us know how all of this works out for you - this transition from 'desktops' via laptops to mobile handhelds will be interesting to watch - :)

@ Zstair.... - BOY, w/ some of the wireless storage options & the Cloud that now integrate w/ the iPad there is no need to feel confine to the PC prison (I migrated in the spring) - there are plenty of options in the Apple world - Dave

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
UPDATE: All that is left for me to do now is to create new content as needed, which is made easy due to the wiki software. I have done all of this in the text editor provided by the FTP Client Pro app. I use a text editor to write HTML/CSS/php/javascript because it allows me more control versus using an automated online tool.

I could have used a desktop machine to run a LAMP stack myself but that's a lot of work (been there, done that) so I left that end to the web host company.

I'm quite pleased with how everything has turned out, it's amazing what one can do with CSS these days. Yesterday I learned how to implement box-radius for rounded corners and text-shadow for drop shadows on <div> elements. The current site skin is pure CSS, no images, and I think it's beautiful.

Most reactions