What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tablet Virgin : Advice required.

GraySmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello all,

Yes, I am a newbie, this is my first post. Please be gentle...

I haven't entered the world of Apple since purchasing my iPod Classic about 4 years ago, but this is all about to change.

I'm looking at getting an iPad. I've chosen an iPad over the various other branded tablets out there.
I've used one before, so I'm not living in the dark ages entirely!

I thought I wanted an iPad predominantly because of the bigger screen size, I thought I preferred it.
I decided I would get the iPad (3rd Gen), rather than the older iPad 2. With me so far? Good.
Then I realized the 4th Gen iPad was being released in the not too distant future, and naturally decided I'd go for that.
I didn't think the iPad Mini would appeal to me at all, due to the screen size.

So, I went in to the Apple store to take a look, and the Mini is actually pretty bloody good.

I had the 4th and the Mini side by side. Obviously, the screen is way better on the 4th, but the Mini is a lot lighter, and size wise, it's not actually that bad. I'd definitely go for the Mini over the iPad 2. Better camera, more PPI, etc.

I just can't decide between the Mini and the 4th. It's heavy! Will I het tired of holding it? I'm pretty lazy.

I'd just like some opinions from you guys if you wouldn't mind. Bare in mind I have no other tablet, what do YOU reckon???

I should also say that I'm also looking at getting the MacBook Pro with Retina display, so it's not like I'm going to miss out on THAT screen entirely.

Anyway, cheers for reading. I'll look forward to our insight.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to take it places I'd get the mini.
If it's for home use I'd get the 4.
I'm as lazy as they come and I've never had a problem with the weight or size of an iPad. It's on my lap right now.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
If portability and cost are your chief criteria the mini wins. I've played with the demos in the Apple store and it's a nice ride. The smaller screen with increased pixel density produces a crisp image. A bit sharper I think than my iPad 2.

If value is your concern - I think the higher priced 4 gives you comparatively a lot more for the money,

Have fun shopping and let us know what you decide.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy both. Take them home and return whichever you use less.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my not so humble opinion, I see totally different uses for the iPad versus the Mini. That slightly larger screen size makes a huge difference. I think you have to live with one or the other for some time to fully appreciate the difference. I would definitely NOT settle for any tablet size smaller than that of the iPad. Just get holders and cradles and stands.

The other thing I notice is the shrinkage of actual font sizes as Apple goes to higher and higher PPI in smaller and smaller screens. I hate it. The Mini is like that. So was the 17" Macbook. You practically need a hand held magnifying glass to read the screen.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
^^ this.

If your eyes are old, the mini is just too hard to read. The keyboard is too small for real typing, you have use thumbs like a phone. If these are issues for you, the choice is simple.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^^ this.

If your eyes are old, the mini is just too hard to read. The keyboard is too small for real typing, you have use thumbs like a phone. If these are issues for you, the choice is simple.

Define old? I saw lots of grey-haired women in the Apple store on Tuesday all huddled around the mini table...with credit cards flying. Most were wearing glasses. It is actually easier to type on than a regular sized iPad.

OP
GraySmith

GraySmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I went back into the store today. Again, I thought I had made my mind up, but as soon as pick up and start playing with the Mini, I'm torn again.

I thought typing on the mini was pretty good, although I'm used to typing on my phone when it comes to touch screens, a la thumbs.

Someone above suggested getting both and returning the one I didn't want... Would they allow that? What is their Returns policy? Could I get a certain amount of days with it and then return it for a full refund, even having used it?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC;724848 It is actually easier to type on than a regular sized iPad.[/QUOTE said:
Easier to type on than a regular sized iPad? Can you just elaborate on that? Being a smaller screen how is that possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OB,

Larger doesn't make it easier to type on. With the mini, I can hold it in my hand and use both hands (thumbs) to type on a split screen KB. This simply cannot be done on the larger iPad. Smaller doesn't mean it is harder to type on...what matters is the actual size. An iPhone, yes, but for the mini, most people will find typing is enhanced. Check out the cnet review by Scott Stein. He has a video of himself holding the mini and typing on it. His written review mentioned this as well. My experience backed up his review.

It seems peopel also assume that because the screen is smaller it is harder to tap icons. Also not true. I do find that on some webpages it can be a bit difficult to hit some links, but this depends on the elements of the webpage. In those cases you have to zoom a bit, but I find this to be true on any tablet that depends on a touch interface. On my Google Nexus 7, the built in browser, Chrome, is smart enough to know to zoom up automatically around tiny, clickable elements on a page. Safari would do well to emulate that feature.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OB,

Larger doesn't make it easier to type on. With the mini, I can hold it in my hand and use both hands (thumbs) to type on a split screen KB. This simply cannot be done on the larger iPad. Smaller doesn't mean it is harder to type on...what matters is the actual size. An iPhone, yes, but for the mini, most people will find typing is enhanced. Check out the cnet review by Scott Stein. He has a video of himself holding the mini and typing on it. His written review mentioned this as well. My experience backed up his review.

It seems peopel also assume that because the screen is smaller it is harder to tap icons. Also not true. I do find that on some webpages it can be a bit difficult to hit some links, but this depends on the elements of the webpage. In those cases you have to zoom a bit, but I find this to be true on any tablet that depends on a touch interface. On my Google Nexus 7, the built in browser, Chrome, is smart enough to know to zoom up automatically around tiny, clickable elements on a page. Safari would do well to emulate that feature.

Thanks for that, AQ_OC. Split screen typing can be done and is great on the 9.7" larger iPad, easily holding with both hands.

Maybe there could be an advantage in being able to hold the Mini in one hand in some situations, not necessarily for typing, as the larger iPad is definitely not so good for balancing on one hand, IMO. And in the case of small hands, split screen typing may very well be easier on the Mini.

Myself, I'm not that influenced by other opinions, the like of Mr. Stein. Just one man's opinion trying to make his way in the world like the rest of us.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would you use it? I think that is key to your decision.

I like to sit with mine in my lap and read & browse. The increased screen size is a huge plus for the iPad. And since I rest it on my lap, the weight isn't a negative. I don't take it out of my house usually, so I don't need portability.
The screen clarity was also a big plus.
For me, it was easy. But if I need portability and holding it by my hands constantly, my choice would have been different.

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma. The choice really came down to value and use. My laptop is an 18.4" Acer Ethos. After that the relative heft of the iPad vs. the Mini didn't matter. I find that the iPad was a better value for my money because I have a substantial iTunes library with a lot of HD content. I also found that reading books and magazines is more enjoyable on the iPad. The Mini is great. Is just isn't that great for someone like me.

Most reactions

Latest posts