What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

System Time

Hawkmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the new os will allow some sort of a time sync with a natl. time server to keep the ipad time exact, hope so? Mine drifts a little each day, 15 secs. A lot of people complaining about it on the forums.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad ain't no Rolex when it comes to keeping time, that's for sure. The problem as I see it is that Apple apparently won't allow third party developers manipulate things that deep into the OS.

OP
H

Hawkmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, my $29 timex keeps way better time. Come on Apple, its a great device, let it grab the time every day from a time server and keep better time.

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad time is synced with the PC time every time you sync your iPad. (Say that 5 times in a row :) )

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad time is synced with the PC time every time you sync your iPad. (Say that 5 times in a row :) )
Please quote the source of this information.

I just synced my iPad and the iPad clock and the PC clock to not change at exactly the same time which proves your statement false. Sorry!

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"You see Norm, your iPad is far from a precision Swiss timepiece..."
0.jpg

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well all I can say is that syncing my iPad does not seem to affect the internal clock. I mean its not a big deal since it may lose a minute or so every couple of weeks, but syncing did not help... at all... one bit... not even a little.

Oh, and I would be kind of careful when posting links to other iPad related forums. The rules state:
8. Promoting other iPad related forums or blogs in your posts, signatures, or in any way on the forum is not permitted. Doing so will result in a banning.

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well all I can say is that syncing my iPad does not seem to affect the internal clock. I mean its not a big deal since it may lose a minute or so every couple of weeks, but syncing did not help... at all... one bit... not even a little.

Oh, and I would be kind of careful when posting links to other iPad related forums. The rules state:
8. Promoting other iPad related forums or blogs in your posts, signatures, or in any way on the forum is not permitted. Doing so will result in a banning.

I'm not promoting anything! I'm providing you the link you asked for. Also how do you think the iPad time is set correctly when you first buy it? That should be enough proof that it syncs off the PC. Not sure why yours doesn't though.

OP
H

Hawkmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree I have syncd mine in the past and the times were different. When you set the ipad clock the seconds dont reset to 0 either. Whole clock function just doesnt seem well done. Why not let the pad update itself over the internet once a day, seems so easy, even a cheap netbook can do that?
Its not a huge deal just an annoyance on an other wise great device.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not let the pad update itself over the internet once a day...
Another option might be to use one of the "atomic clock" apps and actually allow it to adjust the internal clock instead of just showing the time. Apparently Apple is very particular when it comes to allowing third party apps too deep into the internal working mechanisms of their devices.

OP
H

Hawkmech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every clock app I have seen will not adjust the system clock. Apple in their infinite wisdom doesnt let anything touch the system clock.

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Settings menu under General>Date&Time is an option "Set Automatically", but it doesn't say how it's set.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Settings menu under General>Date&Time is an option "Set Automatically", but it doesn't say how it's set.
That must be a 3g option since my WiFi only iPad doesn't have it. This being the case, I would presume it gets the time somewhere from the cellular service provider.

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an experiment, I turned Set Automatically to OFF and manually changed the time to about 8 minutes slow. I then turned off 3G and did a sync and the time did not change. I turned on 3G and the time changed to the correct time after about 1 second. This with Set Automatically still off. I'm guessing the Automatic option sets according to physical location. I guess if you change time zones, the time will change.

Most reactions

Latest posts