What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing

cjsta87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a new member of this WHOLE ipad world, so excuse me while i ask all the really stupid questions.

Firstly...getting started

I turn it on and i find the "itunes" symbol, I have looked thru other posts and discover i must sync it with my computer. Thing is, my other computer is a joint family computer and so i dont really want all their outlook emails and pictures and everything....is there a way i can just like the itunes and all the music? It's not like an ipod is it where u sync a blank ipad and the original computer loses everything?

Any help would be muuuch appreciated!

Thanks all

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are safe to sync your iPad, make sure that you download the latest version of iTunes first. You can set up the emails anyway you want, I.e. whichever accounts that you need.

The Archangel

OP
C

cjsta87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also where would i have found a sim? its saying i dont have one in there?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You only need a SIM if you are going to get a cellular data plan. You can use it on Wi-Fi in the mean time whether you decide to do that or not. The most common place to get a SIM is from the carrier that you get your plan from.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You only need a SIM if you are going to get a cellular data plan. You can use it on Wi-Fi in the mean time whether you decide to do that or not. The most common place to get a SIM is from the carrier that you get your plan from.

Question for you - we can only synch via wifi while iTunes is open on our computers, correct? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes. Something has to be running on the computer to do the syncing, and iTunes is it.

So not really a big deal... The only real benefit is when you have multiple devices to synch simultaneously.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, and this; if you leave iTune turned on, on the computer.

Wi-Fi Sync
Wirelessly sync your iOS device to your Mac or PC over a shared Wi-Fi connection. Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes. So you always have your movies, TV shows, home videos, and photo albums everywhere you want them. -- Apple Site

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Well, and this; if you leave iTune turned on, on the computer.

Thanks so much!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
toberman72 said:
I really don't like iTunes, it's a pain....

I necessary evil ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To move your picture files on your iPad, I think you are forced to use iTunes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, and no. How's that for clear.

If you want albums that are independent of the camera roll in Photos, then yes, you need iTunes.

If you just want the pictures on the iPad and having them in the camera roll is fine, then there are a multitude of ways to copy them to the iPad. I like PhotoSync (one word).

If you want organized albums and no iTunes you need to use a third party app like PhotoManager Pro or Photo-Sort.

There are lots of other app options. Working with Apple's apps can be is somewhat limiting at times, so it's a good thing we have an App Store.

Saje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Synching issue: I have two computers that I use to synch my iPad1. As any who have the same setup know, if you try to synch to a computer not the same as the one used previously, you get an error message. Each time I transfer my purchases, reset the synch settings for each category, i.e., music, movies, TV shows, etc. Eventually everything gets synched EXCEPT! When I go back to the iPad ALL my apps are scattered over several pages. I like to keep my apps in little category boxes and while those remain on the iPad, none of the apps that used to be in the box are there. So, for the next hour, I get to re-organize all my apps back into the category boxes. Is there some way I can avoid having to do this and keep my apps synched AND organized? Suggestions or sympathy greatly appreciated...

I am not usually this organizationally demented, but it would be nice not to have to search over several pages/screens to find my apps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you've run into Apple's obsession with "one iPad, one iTunes." The best answer is: Don't sync your iPad to two computers.

Because, honestly, I don't think there is any way around that type of "hinky" behavior, as long as you try to go back and forth between two computers.

Ain't iTunes fun?

</sarcasm>

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts