What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to sync back apps purchased on the Ipad to iTunes

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone advise on how I can Sync all the Apps I downloaded directly to the iPad back to the iTunes library?

I am using a second computer which has iTunes installed.

Whilst signed in with my Apple ID, I download an app from the store to the PC as a test.

When I click on my iPad under the "Devices" menu, followed by the "Apps" option, then "Sync Apps" I get a prompt that reads "...All existing apps and their data on the iPad "my iPad" will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library"

On the left hand side column, there is of course no Apps other than the new one I just download.

If I confirm the sync, will I lose all my apps on the ipad or will iTunes know to merge instead so everything is preserved?

Any help would be appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With the iPad plugged in, right click on it in iTunes under the Devices list and select Transfer Purchases.

When it is done, go to the Apps page and make sure all the apps you want to stay on the iPad have checkmarks next to them. It would be a good idea to review all your other sync settings on the other pages too, just to make sure no unwanted changes will take place when you next sync.

BTW, unless you mean to permanently move the iPad to the new computer for syncing, I don't recommend you do this at all. The iPad/iTunes relationship is designed to be one to one, and while it is possible to get around this you're just asking for problems unless you know exactly what you are doing.

OP
I

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet,

That's done the trick.

The only thing that seem to go astray was my custom folders, other than that, all is well.

Thanks again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
icebun said:
Thanks Twerppoet,

That's done the trick.

The only thing that seem to go astray was my custom folders, other than that, all is well.

Thanks again!

No problem. My folders occationaly leak apps when I di this too. No idea why.

Most reactions

Latest posts