What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync Ipad 2 files with MS pc without iTunes

ipad2user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

How do I sync Ipad 2 with a MS pc (both ways) without Itunes. I can´t install Itunes, Dropbox or Goodreader because of company policy, but I need to sync files between Ipad 2 and my work pc.

The best solution has been to make Ipad 2 appear as an external harddrive through USB connection.

As the Ipad is company asset, a jailbreak is not an option.

Need tips. Please respond.

Ipad2user.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't. If the iPad is a company asset then why they don't allow you to install ITunes?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
Edit: If you cannot install apps on the iPad, then it is not possible to sync files, other then by sending emails.

If you could install Goodreader, then a data transfer would be possible, as you can setup Goodreader as a network drive, so it shows up as a harddrive on your computer.

On Windows 7, this can be done as followed. (Instead of browsing to the folder, add the IP address Goodreader shows when you open Wifi-Transfer)
www.itechtalk.com/thread3673.html
On Mac, instructions can be found here:
www.goodreader.net/gr-man-tr-wifi-mac.html

2) To initialize the data transfer, open Goodreader and click on the wifi symbol at the bottom to start Wifi-Sync. Than just do the rest from your computer. You can copy files/folders directly into the Goodreader subdirectory, as it behaves just like a thumb drive.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJK said:
You can't. If the iPad is a company asset then why they don't allow you to install ITunes?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Have to agree. Seems like a half hearted company rollout if they provide the devices without the capability to sync to work PC's, unless their policy is no syncing in which case you shouldn't be putting files on it...

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your case, you should not use the term "SYNC" . It is "COPY" you need using, and for that there are lots of 3rd party Apps.
One important thing is missing here.
It is what kind of files.
Is it DOCx, Is it Excel ? Maybe PowerPoint...
Each one has a better tuned App for it

OP
I

ipad2user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update

I can install apps on the iPad. The problem is the ms pc and corporate policy there. iPad is not an approved tool for employees in the vi company, just for me and some other persones. This is not a full roll out.

Files that needs to be copied or sync is docs, excel sheets, ppts etc.

PS! The ms pc has Microsoft xp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ipad2user said:
I can install apps on the iPad. The problem is the ms pc and corporate policy there. iPad is not an approved tool for employees in the vi company, just for me and some other persones. This is not a full roll out.

Files that needs to be copied or sync is docs, excel sheets, ppts etc.

PS! The ms pc ha Microsoft xp.

So you could install Goodreader on the iPad and then use the above linked instructions to add Goodreader as a network drive to the computer, so that you can add/remove files, as if it where a flash drive.

Reaction score
ipad2user said:
One last question. Is the foldermapping the same on ms xp?

In Windows XP, adding a network drive is done slightly differently:

1)To connect a drive from My Computer, click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Explore.
or
To connect a drive from Windows Explorer, right-click Start, and then click Explore.
2)On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.
3)In the Drive box, click a drive letter.
4)Open Goodreader on the iPad and tap on the Wifi symbol located in the bottom menu bar. A popup will show, take note of the IP address.
5)Now back on your computer: In the Folder box, type the IP address Goodreader shows in step 4.

Once this is done, you can transfer files using Goodreader.

OP
I

ipad2user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanx.

Looking forward to try it out on monday. Don't have my corporate pc at home this weekend.

OP
I

ipad2user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help

I have followed your instructions, but I get the error message:

"The network path http://10.25.xxx.xx:xxxx could not be found".

It is of course real numbers instead of "x" in the typed IP address.

The IP address is an exact copy of the instructions on Goodreader under the section "WiFi-transfer".

Help!

Reaction score
The computer and iPad have to be on the same network for this to work, if they are, then it should always work, as there isn't much you could do wrong. However, if the laptop is using a VPN service to connect to the companies network, then it may not work, unless the iPad is also connected to the companies VPN.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as DUMI suggested, I doubt your wifi IP address range starts with 10.25. This looks like (potentially) your 3G wireless IP address. Make sure that both sides are connected to the same network. This may not be possible (depending on your setup at work) if your wired network is separated from your wireless network.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts