What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync iBooks Problem

jasonhooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded some books direct from iTunes onto my iPad including some samples.

When I try to sync them with my iTunes account on my Windows XP laptop - it wants to wipe all my music and videos and start again.

I want to pick and choose what I sync with my iPad in terms of music so have selected the sync mode where I select. On Apps I sync the whole lot.

Any ideas on how I can move my books from iPad to laptop?

Just purchased an iMac 27" yesterday so better linking with iPad!

Jas

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For the moment, I would not bother trying to copy the books from iTunes. Not if your about to go to another computer anyway. Instead open the iBooks app on the iPad and go to the Store there. You should be able to go the the Purchases section, then select Not On This iPad at the top. Find your book and download it.

If the Purchased icon is not available in the Store (may not be in some countries) you can still download the book. Just search for it. It will show up with a Download button instead of the price.

For getting things set up on the new iMac, this should help.

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimized photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

Most reactions

Latest posts