What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync completes very fast but does not really sync (on Mac, OK on Windows)

mco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad1 that was (and still is) syncing successfully on iTunes installed on Windows Vista.

Now I have a Mac (running Lion 10.7.2) .
Syncing does not work.
There is no error message, on the contrary, all the messages are positive and normal, but the process completes very fast and nothing is actually synced.
Moreover, backups are not taken unless I invoke it myself explicitly.
Another weirdness is that the sync itself does not start automatically after connecting the iPad.

I have both reinstalled iTunes (after wiping out the libraries) and reset the iPad, but to no avail.

TIA for any help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that sync and backup are two different things. You do have to manually start a backup. As for syncing, if you've added nothing new to iTunes and then plug in your iPad, it will be quick because iTunes has nothing to do. All it's doing with a sync is verifying that everything you've got checked to sync with the iPad is synced. No/minimal changes equals fast sync.

Also, check your iTunes settings. Under Preferences, there's a box to have the iPad sync automatically. Then, with your iPad plugged in, under the apps tab, there is another box to have apps sync automatically. Just make sure those are properly set.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
M

mco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mentioned backup only because on the Windows box, when I sync it also automatically backs up the iPad on iTunes.

This is not a case of minimal/no changes. I uploaded apps on the iPad and on iTunes. They are not syncing.

I did not find the checkbox you mentioned and am not sure what you mean by "apps tab". When I click on "apps" on the list that is on the left of iTunes, I get a list of all the apps in the iTunes library but I see no checkbox.
Also worth mentioning is that I did manage to transfer apps from the iPad to iTunes using the explicit "File/ Transfer purchases from iPad" menu command.

OP
M

mco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with your iPad plugged in, under the apps tab, there is another box to have apps sync automatically

Thanks, this was it. It just took me time to notice these tabs I didn't know about.
Apparently, from a dialog I had to confirm, the iPad needed to reset something to be connected to the library on the new Mac.
That was probably the reason these checkboxes were unchecked in the first place.
In the PC I never knew about them, so they were probably checked to begin with.

Most reactions