What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching from iPad Pro 12.9 to 9.7

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Previous to buying my iPad pro 12.9 when it launched last year. I was an iPad Air 1 guy. Shortly after buying the larger iPad I sold the Air.

Now a year later, I find myself not using the 12.9 as often as I thought I would. I also own a 12" MacBook so for any work related portable computing I'm covered with my MacBook, but around the house I like having the iPad to toy around.

For the last 6 months, I find myself using my 2 year old iPad Mini and lately have started thinking about dumping this large iPad for a more comfortable iPad Pro 9.7.

I'd like to hear thoughts on what the community thinks about this switch? Is it step backwards? Am I going to notice a huge difference from 4 GB ram down to 2? Other than the obvious size difference, what else should I consider?

I terms of my uses for the iPad, it will mainly be used for pleasure, not business. I have a MacBook for that stuff already. Something to use around the house, browse from the couch and play games. The ability to open docs and spreadsheets is a bonus. Not really going to be editing/creating videos on my iPad anyway, so that's a non feature for me.

I also use my current iPad Pro with DJ mixing apps and like the screen real estate. It's not a main use, but tinker with this music app every now and then.

Any thoughts and insight would be great.

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is just a small thing, but when I tried out both sizes of Pro, the Pencil seemed to work more smoothly on the 12". Even so, taking all things into consideration I personally would choose the 9.7" for the sheer portability and convenience of holding in one hand.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I got the 12.9 before the 9.7 Pro was available. I got it mostly for the Pencil, but also because I was having trouble with my iMac. When I got it, I turned off the iMac for a few weeks to test how well I could get by without a desktop computer. By the end of the first week I didn't even reach for the iMac's keyboard when I wanted to do something. Even now, after I got the iMac working again, I almost never reach for it. It just sits there keeping all my stuff backed up.

That said, the 12.9 iPad Pro is only slightly more convinient to carry around than a laptopand it spends a great deal of it's time attached to the keyboard , even when I dont' need it; moslty because it's more awkward to hold for long periods. If it had not become my main computer I'd probably be looking to move back to the 9.7 iPad Pro. As it is, I'm not even considering it.

The iMac (a 2009) is nearing the end of it's usefulness, so the iPad is likely to end up my only computer (besides the iPhone. Every computer is a compromise of some sort, and it looks like the 12.9 iPad Pro is the best compromise for me, for now; though I do occationally think of adding a wi-if only iPad Mini for reading and other content consumption.

OP
Junior

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Great points on both accounts.

Holding the iPad Pro 12 for extended periods of time does feel cumbersome. When it actually does get used, it's always attached the keyboard so that's a great point. I might have jumped on this one too quick when it was released and not considered it's intended use. It's not replacing a desktop or even a laptop for me, it's meant to be a leisure use device.

A 9.7 might be the way to go.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd still go with the 9.7" Pro, not the Air. I love the Pencil, not only as a productivity device, but also a leisure device. I love to doodle; whether it's a drawing app or just colorbook app. I also use it to take quick phone message notes at the office, so I can refer to them later if needed. Beats post-it notes.

But that, of course, depends on whether you have any use for a Pencil. If not, the Air 2 is certainly cheaper.

On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry there will probably be new iPads out sometime in the spring. I suspect the new models will offer you some interesting choices. Then again, six month is a significant wait.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd still go with the 9.7" Pro, not the Air. I love the Pencil, not only as a productivity device, but also a leisure device. I love to doodle; whether it's a drawing app or just colorbook app. I also use it to take quick phone message notes at the office, so I can refer to them later if needed. Beats post-it notes.

But that, of course, depends on whether you have any use for a Pencil. If not, the Air 2 is certainly cheaper.

On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry there will probably be new iPads out sometime in the spring. I suspect the new models will offer you some interesting choices. Then again, six month is a significant wait.
Agreed, with the 9.7" iPad Pro you're getting a new design but with the iPad Air 2 you've got a 2 year old design without the newest features exclusive to the Pro line, such as the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard.

OP
Junior

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website

The wait for another line is actually what I was considering last night. Why jump on board right now, when I can wait it out until the spring for a refresh. Thanks for the feedback.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went the other way. I picked up a 12" iPad Pro this year because I wanted more real estate. Here's the long drawn out story, if you care to know why I did it.

I've had the Air 2 since it first came out. (I use my Mini in the truck as a multimedia device to play through the Bluetooth sound system. It never leaves the truck.) When the 12.9" came out, I thought, "No way. Who needs that other than graphic artists, of which I am not!" So I tisk tisked it and kept my iPad Air 2.

Last year they came out with the 9.7" Pro, and I saw that there really wasn't a difference between my Air 2 and the Pro, so once again, I kept my Air 2, but somewhere in my mind I was always wondering what it'd be like to have the bigger screen of the 12.9".

Now, I don't use my personal iPad for work. In fact, I don't use it productively at all. It's simply a pleasure device designed to play my iPad games, read Facebook, email, and simply veg out while the TV (that can no longer hold my full and undivided attention) is on in the back ground, so once again, why would I upgrade? Funny thing is, my mom had been using my iPad 4 ever since I upgraded to an iPad Air years ago. (Yes, I had an Air, sold it, and upgraded to the Air 2.) She made a commit about how she'd like a new hand-me-down, if I ever upgraded again as the 4 is still the old large iPad. I thought, "well. I've wanted a 12" iPad for a few years now. This would take care of my Christmas gift to her as well. Why not?" So I picked up a WiFi 128GB version. I saw no reason to "max" out this one as I did my previous Air 2, and I hated the annoying pop up message about not having a SIM card installed, because I never had a cellular connection in my old iPad.

After a month with the 12.9", I really like it. Now, it sucks to type on the screen. I mean, sucks. The keyboard is too big, even for my fat fingers. But I do like the attachable keyboard. I just wish the magnets were stronger and held it in place better. My main reason for the switch was to gain real estate, and boy does it! My golf game looks massive on it, and I can actually track the ball the entire way. Also, it's easier to dial in that precision that you just can't do with a smaller device. And while I'm not 50 yet, my eyes are starting to turn fuzzy when viewing smaller things, so the fact that everything is bigger really helps with the eye strain.

So, did I need it? Nope. Not even a little bit. Was I mad about paying more for the bigger version? YES. Am I happy I did it. Yes, because mom's happy. And isn't that really the key here? A happy mom is always a nice thing to see.

So, I'll stick with my iPad Pro 12.9". For me it's a great device that does exactly what I had hoped it would... improve my virtual golf game!

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently use a mini 4, Air 2 and Pro 12.9.... I find I use the mini 4 the most ever since I picked it up about two months ago. My mini 4 is 128 GB wifi and my Air 2 is 16 GB wifi. The Pro is 32 GB wifi. All are space gray. The reason I think I gravitate towards my mini the most is that it's the perfect size for reading ebooks on the kindle and nook apps and I find it good for web browsing too. Once in a while I watch a movie or YouTube video. I also find it ideal for email, calendar etc...

I love my iPad Pro 12.9 for browsing the web and reading news but the portability of the mini is much more beneficial to me than the extra real estate that the Pro provides. As for the 9.7" form factor.... I find it just a little bit large for ebook reading. Everything else, it's great for but when I just want to carry one device the mini is the one that I usually pick for overall convenience and ease of use. Plus it's the lightest one with the smallest footprint thus the most portable.

I'm hoping the rumored 10.5 (10.9") iPad Pro comes out in March 2017 because then my mom can inherit her choice of my Pro or my Air 2 as her 2nd iPad for a backup to her Air 1 and I will pick up a new 10.5" Pro... I hear they are supposed to be bezelless with the same footprint as a 9.7" Pro but a little thicker. I'd mostly be getting it for the new bezelless design and the change of pace it brings. The old design of the current iPads is getting a little long in the tooth IMO...

Most reactions

Latest posts