What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey: Tablet Use Continues to Soar

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Millennial_tablet_survey.JPG

A new survey from Millennial Media, as reported on by iDownload Blog, finds that tablet use in the US continues to rise, spearheaded by Apple’s iPad and Samsung’s Android tablets. Apple continues to be far in the lead, with 58% of the market, with Android having 41%, and BlackBerry OS a tiny sliver of 1%. Millennial also provides a breakdown of Android brands, with Samsung out in front with 45%, and Amazon in second place with 26% of market share. Motorola, Acer and Asus are all way behind that, with much smaller shares of the market. In its report on the survey, Millennial Media says that Apple’s soaring figures are mainly down to the popularity of the iPad mini, with ad impressions for the mini increasing by an average of 28% per day, beating the 19% ad impressions per day recorded for Amazon’s Kindle Fire when it was launched in 2011.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Millennial: tablet use skyrockets, led by iPad mini and Kindle Fire

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not surprised at all. Tablets are the new home laptops per say from what I can tell. More and more people have them and use them at home for media consumption, homework, stuff like that. It's the way of things.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not either--It's just so much easier to carry around with you compared to a laptop when traveling! I just purchased a Macbook Air...and while I love this thing because of its size and weight compared to my old Sony Laptop--I still reach for my ipad for surfing the web, getting on to this forum or checking emails!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's taken long enough for people to catch on. I remember blockheads who were knocking iPads when they were announced. Meanwhile, I'd been wanting a user-friendly tablet for ages. My feeling when Apple finally came along with one: about bleeding time!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's taken long enough for people to catch on. I remember blockheads who were knocking iPads when they were announced. Meanwhile, I'd been wanting a user-friendly tablet for ages. My feeling when Apple finally came along with one: about bleeding time!

Exactly, I remember the days of Palm Pilots and all the PDA wars with Sony, Dell, HP, etc. To me it was the same thing...of course I went with the most user friendly at the time-that was the Palm 500. I didn't care for all those unnecessary pull down menus to do one command as seen with the others.

The iPad--certainly is user-friendly for all ages. My mom can't do email on a lap top/PC...but she was able to do it easily on her iPad! Love it!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, I remember the days of Palm Pilots and all the PDA wars with Sony, Dell, HP, etc. To me it was the same thing...of course I went with the most user friendly at the time-that was the Palm 500. I didn't care for all those unnecessary pull down menus to do one command as seen with the others.

The iPad--certainly is user-friendly for all ages. My mom can't do email on a lap top/PC...but she was able to do it easily on her iPad! Love it!

I still have my original Palm Pilot, lol.

Great going for your mom. The more user friendly, the more widespread, the better when it comes to tech.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still have my original Palm Pilot, lol.

Great going for your mom. The more user friendly, the more widespread, the better when it comes to tech.

I sometimes equate Palm to Apple based on how it operated. Things seemed to be very easy to follow on my Palm. I loved my Palm Centro phone when it first came out also! Still have that also! :)

My mom loves her ipad and actually brought with her over seas. She is now complaining that there is no WIFI to get onto the internet--LOL! Imagine that coming from someone, who a year ago had no idea how to get onto the World Wide Web! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sometimes equate Palm to Apple based on how it operated. Things seemed to be very easy to follow on my Palm. I loved my Palm Centro phone when it first came out also! Still have that also! :)

My mom loves her ipad and actually brought with her over seas. She is now complaining that there is no WIFI to get onto the internet--LOL! Imagine that coming from someone, who a year ago had no idea how to get onto the World Wide Web! :)

Hey we could start a thread: What's the oldest electronic gadget you still own?

Very cool that your mom is on board and online!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey we could start a thread: What's the oldest electronic gadget you still own?....

For 'hand-held' devices, I started out w/ a Palm Pilot - owned 2 versions until my son gave my his iPod Touch 2G, which I'm still using but would like to replace w/ a newer model.

However, an item that I've kept for nearly 40 yrs is not electronic, but a Howard-Miller wall clock that I still wind on Sundays (8-day movement) - nice to have 'something' old fashioned. We bought the clock in 1975 w/ the intention of teaching our 2 y/o son to tell time - it worked and he liked the chimes. So, a nice reminder of those days a while ago! :)

$(KGrHqN,!lkFBshCjNkEBQspN0yDiw~~60_35.JPG

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For 'hand-held' devices, I started out w/ a Palm Pilot - owned 2 versions until my son gave my his iPod Touch 2G, which I'm still using but would like to replace w/ a newer model.

However, an item that I've kept for nearly 40 yrs is not electronic, but a Howard-Miller wall clock that I still wind on Sundays (8-day movement) - nice to have 'something' old fashioned. We bought the clock in 1975 w/ the intention of teaching our 2 y/o son to tell time - it worked and he liked the chimes. So, a nice reminder of those days a while ago! :)

View attachment 36498

That's great -- a clock with family history. Do they still teach kids to tell time like that, I wonder, or do they just figure they'll all have digital devices?

I have a graphing calculator from the '80s. I also have my high school manual typewriter.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's great -- a clock with family history. Do they still teach kids to tell time like that, I wonder, or do they just figure they'll all have digital devices?

I have a graphing calculator from the '80s. I also have my high school manual typewriter.

Well, I was an undergrad @ U. of Michigan, 1964-67 before entering medical school - my calculating machine was a slide rule (like the one below) which I just donated to Goodwill (maybe I should have kept it?) - the leather holster attached to my belt buckle (you could always tell who was a science-math student in those days) - it's use was permitted on tests in those courses - :)

bigstock_Slide_Rule_And_Case_1127042.jpg

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I was an undergrad @ U. of Michigan, 1964-67 before entering medical school - my calculating machine was a slide rule (like the one below) which I just donated to Goodwill (maybe I should have kept it?) - the leather holster attached to my belt buckle (you could always tell who was a science-math student in those days) - it's use was permitted on tests in those courses - :)

View attachment 36505

I have one of those...my mom had one, which I have kept!! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

View attachment 36505

I have one of those...my mom had one, which I have kept!! :)

The funny thing is, I've seen those in interior design photos, displayed as "found objects."

Most reactions

Latest posts