What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions for iPad study/writing app for 3x5 cards

L.Pasteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I like to study via flash cards and have down loaded apps such as mental case, however, much of the material I like to study rely on equations. I find that most flash card apps don't conveniently support typing fractions, special greek symbols or exponents.

Does any one know if there is way I could write out equations on iPad and use them on flash card apps? I do own Noteshelf, Evernote and Noterize but I haven't figured out a way to write out an equation on them, save it as a jpg and then transfer it over to mental case. This sounds like a lot of steps anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen two apps that allow you to write on flash cards (and maybe make your own via handwriting), iStudious ($2.99, USD) and iReview ($3.99, USD).

I've not used either of them and couldn't tell you any more than what their descriptions in the App Store say (though iReview looked closer to what you want, according to the description). Maybe one of them will suit your needs?

Good luck.

Marilyn

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anki - no itunes link sorry.

While it is expensive, its algorithm is supirior to that of a simple flashcard system. I'd suggest using a search engine for a few key phrases - "spaced repetition," "Leitner method," and "Supermemo." Likely, this is more than you'll ever need to know about memorization techniques, but it should explain why Anki is superior. An extensive body of research exists in this area.

OP
L

L.Pasteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks to the both of you for the suggestions. I did some perusing into your advice. After reading their descriptions, it didn't look like either iReview or iStudious supported hand writing onto flash cards. Anki looked like a very complete program but the learning curve seemed large and numerous users said that the outside/3rd party program needed to write equations was very complicated.

I ended up downloading MathType, a program that allows me to do just that. I am able to type out equations that include Greek letters, sub & superscripts, fractions and many more. Then, I just save whatever I type as a mac pict file and drag & drop it onto my mental case card set for use.

Pretty handy program.

Thanks again for trying to help.

madswan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi L. Pasteur. I am the developer for iStudious and I just wanted to let you know that you CAN draw on the flashcards. Right now, you can create either a text only or sketch only flashcard. We will be releasing a HUGE update to Apple within the next week that will include Rich Text for the notebook and the text on the flashcards and a customizable pen for drawing in the notebook and on flashcards. You will also be able to have text AND drawings on all of the flashcards. It will also have a built in quizzing system so you can study your cards and keep track of your results. We just released a stand alone iPhone app that has ONLY flashcards. You can find a link to the demo in the marketing description for iStudious - Flashcards w/ Handwriting and Rich Text. The next release of iStudious - Note Taking w/ Integrated Flashcards will have pretty much the same flashcard functionality as the stand-alone flashcard app.

Thanks,
Amy

OP
L

L.Pasteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but another question

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply. istudius looks like a really useful app, especially when I want to make flash cards on the go, without my MacBook. however, I was reAding from other users that They are unable to edit or erase information on card and end up having to delete the card entirely and then start from scratch? Is that true? Can one not edit/erase/modify info?

madswan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's Coming!

We are in the final stages of testing out version 2.0 and will hopefully be submitting it to Apple for approval by the end of this week. This release will include an eraser and undo functionality. If you look at our latest iPhone app, iStudious - Flashcards w/ Handwriting and Rich Text you can get an idea of all of the flashcard functionality that will be included in the flashcard piece of iStudious - Note Taking w/ Flashcards. We are also hoping to make iStudious - Flashcards a Universal app within the next few weeks so if you don't need the note taking piece you can get just the flashcard functionality.

OP
L

L.Pasteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to front quizzing?

With the new version, can the quiz be set to test from the backside of the flashcard? Or is it still frontside only?

OP
L

L.Pasteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, what does Sketchbook Pro have to do with studying with 3x5 cards? or is this a selfish way of promoting your own app?

Most reactions

Latest posts