What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions before I purchase

45Auto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have pretty much decided to purchase an IPad 2, but unsure which one to get. The main thing I will be using it for (I think) will be web surfing, some picture files, but mainly for temporary storage until I can transfer them to my PC, and very little if any music files. I do not download music now but I may once I get the new pad. I know I do not want/need the 3g option. I was curious what you experienced IPad users can suggest. I am thinking the 16gb will work, but for $100 more I don't think I can go wrong with the 32gb model, and I am pretty sure I do not need the 64 model. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?:confused:
Thanks!

Lynette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with more than I thought I needed. Reason being...I didn't want to wish I would I had gotten a bigger one.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
That's a tough question to answer. By way of my own experience I can say this - I purchased a 1TB external Hard Drive to backup my Music, eBooks, Movies, and TV Shows a little over a year ago and yesterday all but filled it up. Go for the largest capacity drive that you can afford and never have to worry about looking back.

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was planning on getting the 16GB but decided to get the 32GB last minute because I realized I could offload my pictures with the camera connection kit while on vacation or a photo shoot. Now I'm very glad I got the 32GB. You have to count on only getting about 14GB of actual space since you always get less functional space than the stated amount (that's true for any kind of memory, hard drive, etc.). I loaded about 1 GB of music and had about 2 GB of apps (which is on the high side thanks to a navigation app). Everything was looking good then I started loading movies, needless to say movies take up A LOT of room.
Which size to get is up to you based on what all you're going to do with the iPad. I would recommend 32GB if you can afford it because you can't go back and add more storage.
Anybody out there with 16GB iPads that wish they'd gotten more storage? Anybody with lots of room left to spare with a 16GB iPad?

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be fine with the 16 GB.

I have used about 30 GB of my 64GB and I have on it: 23 full length movies, one 1 hour TV show, five music videos, around 400 songs, around 500 pictures, around 20 apps, and six People magazines.

It's the movies and videos that take up most of the room and those are saved on your iTunes account so can be taken off and put back on at will if you run out of room.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just got the ipad 2 and was thinking the same thing as you witch one should i get i got the 16 gb and it good for my needs witch look about the same as you i have 33 apps 300 pic and i still have 11.3 gb left just so you they say 16 gb but 2 gb is already used befor you get it so its really 14 gb 16 should be good for you if you think your going to keep a lot movies then go bigger i have netflix so i do not have to store then i just stream them even pic you can store on line like flicker and if you got cell phone with hot spot then thats your wifi for your pad really no need to store a super lot of stuff if you do not have the room

Last edited:

sdcromer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16gb model and my usage is pretty much exactly as you have described. I figure I can put several full length movies on here in addition to all of my music and pictures. If I were a BIG movie buff, 16 might not be enough. But I haven't even pushed the memory past about 40% with a movie loaded.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are happy to stream videos from your laptop/desktop then 16gb would be enough, especially if you don't travel a lot.

I had 32gb iPad1's but have bought a 64 iPad2 mainly for storing photographs.
32 took five movies, 100 apps, about 800 photographs, 20 books and several hours of music.

Most reactions