What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Suggestion Required] Suggest An App to Send & Receive Text messages on iPad 2 3G

Rabie Haider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an iPad 2 3G version and need a recommendation for an app which can use the SIM to send and receive texts. Please keep in mind that I do not want something like Gtalk or iMessaging which is tied to the 3G or WiFi to do so, I need an app which uses the SIM/network to send/receive texts, just like a normal phone uses the GSM network for this purpose.

I'm presently on iOS 5.0.1 which is Jailbroken. I have tried using the SwirlySMS free version from iPad 3G. I downloaded it from Cydia as I couldn't find the app on the AppStore, however it seems to be incompatible with my iPad 2. I keep trying to validate my number, but nothing happens. Have any of you had any success with this particular app?

I've also downloaded about 15 other apps from the AppStore, but no success so far. My next best bet is this SwirlyMessage app which is a paid app. I'm uncomfortable purchasing it as I fear it might be incompatible with iOS 5.0.1 and the iPad 2 as well. I don't mind paying something up to $5 for an app which would do what I require it to do. Just need it for simple texts, MMS/phone calls are not required.

Kindly share your experiences regarding this matter.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't help with this matter.

However, I post to ask you to please refrain from making more than one post about this issue (you posted this in the app recommendation area also - which staff deleted). Making more than one post fragments the conversation and makes it difficult for others to follow the issue or any answers. In addition, it's against forum policy.

Please keep any updates, questions or answers about this issue in this thread. Thanks.

And, since you have a jail broken iPad and are talking about a Cydia tweak, I've moved this post over to our Hacking section, where others with jail broken iPads may see it better...

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must have an active phone number to send/receive SMS messages. The phone number associated with your iPad's data plan is purely for tracking purposes. Hacking alone won't fix this. Your carrier isn't going to accept an SMS message from a device they have not activated as a phone.

That is why the other apps use the internet. They have to send your message to a server where it can use a phone number (that gets registered to you) in order to work.

Even if you used a SIM from a phone it would (probably) not be enough. SMS relies on hardware as well as software, and there is no phone hiding inside the iPad.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You must have an active phone number to send/receive SMS messages. The phone number associated with your iPad's data plan is purely for tracking purposes. Hacking alone won't fix this. Your carrier isn't going to accept an SMS message from a device they have not activated as a phone.

That is why the other apps use the internet. They have to send your message to a server where it can use a phone number (that gets registered to you) in order to work.

Even if you used a SIM from a phone it would (probably) not be enough. SMS relies on hardware as well as software, and there is no phone hiding inside the iPad.

Your first part is bang on as always twerppoet, however, the second part isn't quite right.

Any iPad with 3G can in fact send and receive SMS messages. It's just the OS has been hobbled. All the necessary hardware is there in the 3G chip. A quick jailbreak and installation of an app such as "SwirlySMS for iPad 3G" will allow you to send and receive genuine SMS messages via the carrier as you would on a phone.

HOWEVER, a couple of important points, one of which you alluded to.

1) iPad data plans never have SMS included. Therefore you WILL get charge the full network rate if you send an SMS this way. In the UK that's 10-15p per message. Ouch! Of course, if you use the SIM from your phone which has an SMS bundle you can send and receive perfectly well within your carrier plan.

2) I have no idea what the current compatibility of Swirly is with IOS 5.x as I do not use it any more. It just is not as convenient as my phone, the interface in Swirly is not great, and with iMessage existing now I really have all the functionality I need since most of my friends have iMessage!

You can see a really old discussion on it here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/30544-sms-ipad.html

Hope that clarifies.

OP
R

Rabie Haider

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you for your reply.

The SIM that I am using with the iPad is a normal SIM. I use it with my phones as well. I have a micro SIM cutter, so I used that to create a SIM for iDevices. Be assured that the SIM is no different that a casual normal SIM which is used to make calls or send texts etc on a phone.

Hmm since there seems to be no hardware inside capable of acting as a medium of communication, I seem to be stuck.

OP
R

Rabie Haider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your first part is bang on as always twerppoet, however, the second part isn't quite right.

Any iPad with 3G can in fact send and receive SMS messages. It's just the OS has been hobbled. All the necessary hardware is there in the 3G chip. A quick jailbreak and installation of an app such as "SwirlySMS for iPad 3G" will allow you to send and receive genuine SMS messages via the carrier as you would on a phone.

HOWEVER, a couple of important points, one of which you alluded to.

1) iPad data plans never have SMS included. Therefore you WILL get charge the full network rate if you send an SMS this way. In the UK that's 10-15p per message. Ouch! Of course, if you use the SIM from your phone which has an SMS bundle you can send and receive perfectly well within your carrier plan.

2) I have no idea what the current compatibility of Swirly is with IOS 5.x as I do not use it any more. It just is not as convenient as my phone, the interface in Swirly is not great, and with iMessage existing now I really have all the functionality I need since most of my friends have iMessage!

You can see a really old discussion on it here -

Hope that clarifies.

Thank you for your reply.

The points that you made were the ones that I did research on prior to making this thread. I was hoping to use the SMS bundle on my SIM to send/receive texts. During classes, mobiles are off limit, however we can use other devices freely so I intended to exploit that loophole.

Swirly seems to be incompatible with iOS 5.x and also the iPad. It definitely wont be as convenient as a normal phone messaging app, but its better than nothing.

I do use iMessage, however, not everyone that I know has an active data connection on 24/7, which limits its functionality.

Most reactions

Latest posts