What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suddenly cannot receive email but can send it

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For no apparent reason I cannot receive email on the iPad Air to my primary account. I get the error message 'cannot get mail, the server IMAP.tools.sky.com is not responding. Verify you have entered your details correctly.'
I have not changed any settings. I can send an email on the ipad but not receive any. I can receive email on the mac desktop, and I can get mail to my other two accounts no problem. I have checked all my settings and they are correct, checked on the Apple site and the settings are correct. I can log on to Sky server and read my emails.
This happened suddenly out of the blue, I have no idea what to do now. Help much appreciated. TIA
Finvarra

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remove the account in your settings and install it again. In many cases this solves problems with email accounts.

OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remove the account in your settings and install it again. In many cases this solves problems with email accounts.
Hi, I have deleted and reinstalled the account OK, but am still getting the same message, and still unable to receive email :-(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because you've already tried a lot before:

Try the usual troubleshooting fixes -
Restart (turn off and on), reset (press Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo, let go of both, let it start on it's own), and force closing apps (double tap Home button to see multitasking bar, then slide Mail app thumbnail above the app icon towards the top of the screen).

If possible, switch the Outgoing Mail Server to a different one. You can see if it's possible in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - the email account - Advanced. Also take a close look at the settings: did you enter all the necessary informations?

OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you JA, I tried all the resets again with no result.

I have 2 email addresse with Sky, one with Google and one iCloud. I will try changingtHe outgoing,ail server for sky to either the iCloud or Google, I assume that is what you mean? I am a silver surfer and have no techie kids or grand kids to help me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, that was a typo in my last post. It should be the Incoming Mail Server. I don't think that can be changed to something different in the email settings.

Last edited:
OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it did puzzle me when you said outgoing settings. I can send outgoing mail, it is just incoming that is screwed.
I followed your link to the mail settings set up, and all the settings are correct and verified.
Everything on the ipad has worked perfectly since I bought it about nine months ago, I haven,t changed any settings, this happened suddenly and for no,apparent reason. All the settings would appear to be correct, and verified by Apple. Banging my head against a wall.........

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you also contact Sky for support? As all the settings are correct, and everything else didn't help, this is the only option left.

OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't contacted them yet as I wasn't sure if the fault was with iOS or with Sky. Summoning up the will to hang on the phone for hours :p

Thanks for your help

OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorted at last!!!! Spent ages on Sky and found on a forum that this has happened to other people. Sky went over to Yahoo mail several months ago,and everything worked fine without having to do anything. The guy on the forum said to delete the account and then add it, but instead of using 'Other' from the list, use 'Yahoo!. I did this and it worked, all my emails are back and it seems to be working properly now. It shows as Yahoo now in the mail settings. Bizarre - my secondary account with Sky is still working with Sky settings (for now anyway!). At least if that stops working I'll know what to do. Phew!!
Thanks for your help :)

Most reactions

Latest posts