What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus?

bgeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wondering if a stylus might help wifie with her ipad2 . . . took her almost an hour to book a flight,
and I heard a "few" off color remarks! LOL
Any recommendations?
Thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Adonit Jot is pretty neat as it has a bit of a plastic piece on the tip for more uniform writing even at an angle, and it acts as a bit of a stabilizer as well. It runs about 20-30/35 USD depending on where you get it, and whether you get a Mini, Classic or Pro. If you'd like something a little fancier, I'd also recommend the Pencil by FiftyThree. It is a bit steeper at $50, but is a Bluetooth stylus, so it's a "smart pen" in a way, so if you're in contact with your screen, your palm resting on screen will not cause the screen to spaz out and such. These styluses (styli?) are great for writing or drawing.

For tap-poking purposes, you can also opt for a silicon tip stylus like the amPen Ultra Sensitive stylus, which runs about $10 or so. The tip wears out significantly when drawing or writing extensively, but for tap/poking purposes, it lasts quite a while as you're not constantly applying friction

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad2 has an older version of bluetooth so the current crop of Bluetooth styluses don't work on it. The jots that were mentioned don't use Bluetooth so they'll work on the iPad 2. There's also the Wacom bamboo which has a rubbery tip that's smaller than most . I bought the Bluetooth version for art apps but I'm happy with the tip even when it's not connected.

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never used a stylus. I figured I'd get a little education. In reading this thread I looked at the suggestions and went to Amazon for "stylus ipad". I sorted the list, then read the customer reviews. The cheep "Friendly Swede Bundle of 6 Stylus" came up as the top rated. With over 1700 reviews, the product is rated 4.6 of 5, with only 56 ratings of 1 or2. This is less than 4% neg.

The Adonit Jotrun 25% neg for the 'fine'. The other models are even lower.

The Wacom bamboo 51% neg.

Given that the negative ratings include s&h and other non-technical complaints.. What do the more expensive stylus' bring to the table? Am I missing something?

Thanks
A Curious FOG

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose I'll have to retract my previous comments and just relate my personal experience. I bought a cheap rubber stylus first, years ago, and never liked it so it's still in great shape. Then I read about ifaraday here - it's got a special fabric tip - and that was good enough for years. It works very well for writing but isn't precise enough for artwork. When I got my iPad Air in November I installed Procreate, an art app. It worked so well that I wanted a more precise stylus. I considered the Jot Pro or the Jot Touch but I was scared off by the reports of screen scratches. I bought a Wacom Creative Intuos Stylus at Best Buy so I could return it if I was unhappy. After all I wasn't going to spend $100 and end up unhappy. It's a Bluetooth stylus but I mistakenly assumed that because it uses the same nib as other Wacom iPad styluses they would be just as good. Bluetooth styluses are tricky and the satisfaction seems to be very closely related to the software implementation. I picked the stylus in large part because people on the Procreate forum are happy with it, as I turned out to be.

So I suppose the extra expense is for a better built stylus with a sturdier tip until you get to the specialty styluses like the Jot and all the different Bluetooth styluses. If you just want to tap and write large then you'll probably be happy with whatever and calibrate the price to the expected lifespan.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a Teck Net stylus off Amazon quite a while ago now, it has a fabric tip, I use it a lot and it's great, Really standing the test of time and it was only about £5.

Most reactions

Latest posts