What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus For Otterbox Defender

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my iPad 3 protected in the Otterbox Defender case. The OD has the built in screen protector if you're not aware and I've been using a standard stylus on it. But it's a pain in the neck using it because I have to constantly press down hard at certain times because the screen protector is hard. Is there a stylus out there that will work nicely with the OD's screen protector?

Swtrader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iPad 3 protected in the Otterbox Defender case. The OD has the built in screen protector if you're not aware and I've been using a standard stylus on it. But it's a pain in the neck using it because I have to constantly press down hard at certain times because the screen protector is hard. Is there a stylus out there that will work nicely with the OD's screen protector?

Couldn't you remove the screen protector and use without or a screen protector that works better with a stylus.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Swtrader said:
Couldn't you remove the screen protector and use without or a screen protector that works better with a stylus.

You cannot remove the screen protector, as it is part of the case.

To the OP, stylus' are tricky things. Remember, it is not pressure, but the flow of conducted electricity from your body to the screen that makes it work. Fingers are ideal, and a well made stylus can be very effective. The screen protector of the OD is somewhat thicker than usual screen protectors, so it is reducing the flow of the conductivity between you, your stylus and the screen. A better stylus may do the trick, or it may not. In the end, you may have to trade off between your stylus or your OD case.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may have dust under the screen protector.. I have to clean my otterbox out every once in a while. Also you can remove the screen protector... Just it won't be reusable lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
You cannot remove the screen protector, as it is part of the case.

To the OP, stylus' are tricky things. Remember, it is not pressure, but the flow of conducted electricity from your body to the screen that makes it work. Fingers are ideal, and a well made stylus can be very effective. The screen protector of the OD is somewhat thicker than usual screen protectors, so it is reducing the flow of the conductivity between you, your stylus and the screen. A better stylus may do the trick, or it may not. In the end, you may have to trade off between your stylus or your OD case.

Huh?

There is no electricity "flowing" from your body to the screen.
Your touch distorts the screen's electrostatic field. Your fingers are conductive. So is a stylus. That distorts the electrostatic field. The distortion is measured in capacitance.
Nothing is flowing out of your body....

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wpgmini said:
Huh?

There is no electricity "flowing" from your body to the screen.
Your touch distorts the screen's electrostatic field. Your fingers are conductive. So is a stylus. That distorts the electrostatic field. The distortion is measured in capacitance.
Nothing is flowing out of your body....

I'm no physicist, I'll give you that :)

But there is the link between your body and the screen, the stylus won't work without you holding it in the right place. The point is, the screen protector on the otter box does reduce the effectiveness of the stylus.

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I'm no physicist, I'll give you that :)

But there is the link between your body and the screen, the stylus won't work without you holding it in the right place. The point is, the screen protector on the otter box does reduce the effectiveness of the stylus.

Put mitts on. Grab your stylus. It will work without you touching it.

But yes, the otterbox polycarbonate screen protector does reduce the sensitivity.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wpgmini said:
Put mitts on. Grab your stylus. It will work without you touching it.

But yes, the otterbox polycarbonate screen protector does reduce the sensitivity.

On all stylus' I've used, you have to be holding the rubber-like grip or the metal shaft. I have a very good stylus with a plastic shaft, and unless you hold the grip, it does not work. The stylus itself won't effect the screen without your direct interaction.

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
On all stylus' I've used, you have to be holding the rubber-like grip or the metal shaft. I have a very good stylus with a plastic shaft, and unless you hold the grip, it does not work. The stylus itself won't effect the screen without your direct interaction.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Say what? I have a cheap stylus got like a 6 pack for a dollar off eBay... I can drop the tip onto my iPad and it works fine. I wrapped the body in a towel after I read this and tried again.. Still works great. And only the tip on the stylus works....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD and nonconductive stylus shaft

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ShortBus said:
Say what? I have a cheap stylus got like a 6 pack for a dollar off eBay... I can drop the tip onto my iPad and it works fine. I wrapped the body in a towel after I read this and tried again.. Still works great. And only the tip on the stylus works....

You sir.....all win.....I am laughing my butt off!!!!!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ShortBus said:

Not sure what you mean by drop the tip on your iPad. Do you somehow hit an icon and open an app merely by strategically dropping it from above? I'm thinking maybe the tip material is a factor in all this.

From the limited reading and empirical evidence whilst using stylus' I've come to my conclusion. I may experiment a little more, or maybe send it on through to Mythbusters for a thorough thrashing.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes... That's exactly what I do lol... Lol I'm lazy sometimes dropping is easier.. And yes capacitive stylus work via the tip.. Has nothing to do with you.. You can use them with gloves..

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just bought a fresh Simplism Grip Touch Pen for my iPad. It is the same model I had previously. Interestingly, there is some tips/instructions listed including: "Make sure to hold silicone grip. The grip transmits small electric current in your body to the display and holding plastic part does not work."

This lines up with my experience so far. I guess there must be styli made with other material that generates its own "current"? Any stylus manufacturers out there that can comment?

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as the tip is conductive it shouldn't matter.. Ure def buying the wrong stylus.. I get like 7million ohms of resistance on my stylus tip.. Therefore it works on a capacitive screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts