What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Question? Is screen burn in a concern?

Shizzire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can show pics, but not sure the value. I noticed what I thought was "burn in" which led me to this forum. I usually run at the lowest brightness. I noticed an imprint of the google/address bar from Safari, when using the native Twitter app. But then worried about burn in, I "unlocked" screen rotation, gave it a 180, then relocked. Without even strating Safari, i opened twitter. The google/address bar was still there, *but in the new orientation*. So I don't think this is "burn in" (the bottom left of the screen didn't show the google/address bar anymore).

My page orientation has been locked for months, so there was no way this was a permanent issue. So I switched to YouTube (which has a similar colour scheme but different search field size. Sat on that for a couple minutes, then switched to twitter. Again I saw the Safari version of the imprint.

So I'd chalk this up to something wrong with the video driver (but... What, I have no idea????). I have a pic where you can *barely* see the imprint if you are still interested...

Cheers...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shizzire said:
I can show pics, but not sure the value. I noticed what I thought was "burn in" which led me to this forum. I usually run at the lowest brightness. I noticed an imprint of the google/address bar from Safari, when using the native Twitter app. But then worried about burn in, I "unlocked" screen rotation, gave it a 180, then relocked. Without even strating Safari, i opened twitter. The google/address bar was still there, *but in the new orientation*. So I don't think this is "burn in" (the bottom left of the screen didn't show the google/address bar anymore).

My page orientation has been locked for months, so there was no way this was a permanent issue. So I switched to YouTube (which has a similar colour scheme but different search field size. Sat on that for a couple minutes, then switched to twitter. Again I saw the Safari version of the imprint.

So I'd chalk this up to something wrong with the video driver (but... What, I have no idea????). I have a pic where you can *barely* see the imprint if you are still interested...

Cheers...

If you can document screen burn in of am image, it is of great value to other users who may wish to avoid the same thing. Please post your pics and try to get better ones if possible.

Loud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found this thread and shot video of the phenomenon with my iPhone. However, because I'm new, I can't link to it or embed the video from my MobileMe.

Loud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, it won't let me embed it, but here's a link: Video

So this is an iPad 1, had safari open for about 2 hours, but it doesn't always need that long for it to show up. It does seem to go away after leaving the screen off for a while. I cranked up the brightness only to help the video. I usually have the brightness down at about 25% though, and I can still see it clearly. I put the card on the corner of the url bar as an indicator of where to look when I hit the home button (only have two hands).

(And sorry for the pop near the beginning. There's otherwise no sound so you can just turn your speakers down)

Edit: Apparently the video doesn't come up with the URL it gives me in Firefox on my Mac (but it does on my iPhone and iPad). If you don't see any video, click on 'My Gallery' in the upper left and it's the first video on the left.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw it best on the screen image, especially when you ran your finger under it. It looks like it's embossed. Not good.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only real issue with modern LCD screens is image retention which can happen when the pixels get stuck in a certain state. This is very rare though and I have never seen it on an IOS device.
I have used both my iPad 1 & 2 as a poker timer for hours on end with autolock disabled and a more or less static image and never experienced any issues at all.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad as bedside clock, so there is a led style clock on the screen in the same place for about 8-9 hours at a time and I've never experienced any type of screen burn.

MrMos3s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

I'm slighty concerned now as well.

I just had my mail app open for about a minute and a half, returned to the springboard and already have a slight burn-in image of my mail app.

This can't be good, right?

I could try and take a picture with my iPod Touch 4g but I'm not sure that it would show up very well.

I have the iPad 2, bought the day it came out.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm slighty concerned now as well.

I just had my mail app open for about a minute and a half, returned to the springboard and already have a slight burn-in image of my mail app.

This can't be good, right?

I could try and take a picture with my iPod Touch 4g but I'm not sure that it would show up very well.

I have the iPad 2, bought the day it came out.

You're not sure it would so up very well? Why didn't you just try? It seems easy to make a claim and then not even try to get evidence. I, am I'm sure others, do the exact same things you claim you did and we never see "slight burn-in image" on the screen.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is Image Retention and then there is Burn in. One is permanent, one is not. Many friends/relatives of mine that bought plasma TVs would call me freeking out because the ESPN logo was showing after they shut the TV off. I told them to wait about 5 minutes and check again . They never called back. ;)

If there is true burn in on an LED based screen then that would be very rare IMO and worth asking Apple about. Shouldnt happen. Otherwise, I would expect to see occassional image retention on any modern screen.

GT500Girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did anyone that is having this problem change their background image? I woke up this morning and noticed it looked like my clock and slide to open was burned into the screen. I had changed my wallpaper yesterday to a picture that we had taken. Well I just went and changed it back to something else and it fixed the issue. Then I checked that picture under photos and for some reason now it looks like it's permanently burned into that particular photo. Strange to say the least.

Most reactions

Latest posts