What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streaming videos off computer to iPad

Hollywood06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need an app from app store or Cydia doesn't matter to me that will let me stream my movies from my laptop or desktop to my iPad 2. I tried air video from app store and it works as long as you're connected to same wifi. But I would love to watch all my videos on road without having to take laptop.

OP
H

Hollywood06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my videos are converted off DVDs. I just don't have enough room on iPad to put em.

PSUMATT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might want to look at Airplayit app. May be what you are looking for.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the remote desktop apps are capable if your connection is good enough, I've used mine that way. The problem is usually just having a powerful enough connection to stream that much data. I also sometimes use the option of storing video in dropbox, and then opening it after I download the file.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airvideo works fine remotely if you have a dynamic DNS setup. That functionality is built into many home routers. Essentially gives your home server a domain name via an outside service, free. If your router gets a different IP via DHCP for any reason, it "phones home" to that service to tell the intorweb how to get to your domain name. Then you set up port forwarding so the router knows which machine in your house should get the requests.

OP
H

Hollywood06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airvideo works fine remotely if you have a dynamic DNS setup. That functionality is built into many home routers. Essentially gives your home server a domain name via an outside service, free. If your router gets a different IP via DHCP for any reason, it "phones home" to that service to tell the intorweb how to get to your domain name. Then you set up port forwarding so the router knows which machine in your house should get the requests.

yea thats my problem. i cant figure out how to set up port forwarding. I followed the steps at portforward.com but couldnt figure it out. Mine was differnet.

Most reactions

Latest posts