What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

streaming movies from android to ipad over bluetooth?

jjtalbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm finally giving in and getting a smart phone. I got an iPad 2 (wifi only w/16gigs memory) for Fathers Day a couple of years ago (so obviously I use it the least in the family) and my wife has an iPhone 4. I'm trying to decide between getting an iPhone for myself, or a Samsung Galaxy SIII. The one big advantage of the Galaxy is that it can take a microSD card. I'm thinking that on car trips, if I have a Galaxy loaded with tons of movies (thanks to a 64gig SD card) for my boys to watch (they're to young to read in the car yet) I MIGHT be able to stream from the Galaxy to the iPad so I don't have to play the "what movies will the 2 y.o. want to watch this trip" game. I could have them all on my phone and just keep trying till I find what he wants to watch this time.
So my question is this: Is it possible, with the right combination of apps, to use an Android phone as a DLNA server and an iPad as a DLNA client, and connect via bluetooth? So far, everything I've seen that might come close to doing this (OnkyoRemote or media:connect are two that seem likely)requires that the two devices be on the same wifi network, but I haven't seen anything yet that would work when there is no wifi present.
Is what I'm asking allowed, or are there other ways of having a library of movies available to the iPad that exceeds the iPad's memory?
Thanks
Jesse

inkoma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand exactly what you want since I was trying to do this forever. So you can do it like me. Jailbroken Ipad with xbmc on it and your android phone with ES explorer. Start hotspot from android and remote connection ffrom ES and on the xbmc get the fpt and port link and voila :) mkvs streaming with full quality

OP
J

jjtalbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, what I ended up doing was getting an iPhone and buying my Mom's iPad1 (64mb) that she wasn't using anymore. The iPad1 has plenty of room to store everything my boys might want for a long car trip. (plus I get to use "my" iPad a bit more now).

Most reactions

Latest posts