What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange ipad wifi issues with my 3 mifi huawei e585

Omegaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new here and this is my first posting.

I have the ipad 32gb wifi only and a portable (monthly tarriff 15gb) 3 network huawei e585 mifi.

I have had both units new since two weeks ago, and it had been working fantastic and really fast.

Signal strength in my area is almost full bars of HSDPA all the time.

I have updated to the 3.2.1 or something of that nature. (not sure if its related to my issues)

Then these last 4 days or so, I am struggling to make my ipad work with the wifi dongle. Ocassionally, it will connect on, and most of the time, it refuses to work although the wifi unit works perfectly fine with my laptop via wifi.

It shows full signal and the "ticked" next to the dongle name in the network settings. And if I try to open safari, a blue box says " safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet"?

This is what I've done to try and diagnose the problem:

1.Hard reset my ipad and press the reset button on my wifi dongle.
2.clicking the "forget this network" and re-entering the passkey.
3.Tried clicking from "off" to "auto", and then back to "off" within the HTTP Proxy setting.
4.tried leaving the laptop off, and just using the ipad alone with the wifi dongle.
5. My iphone 4 could not connect to the wifi dongle, at the same times when the ipad failed as well.
6. Took both my ipad and iphone 4, plus my wifi dongle TWICE, to the O2 guru, and TWICE, they worked absolutely fine! I couldn't believe it.
7. tried switching the wifi dongle ON and OFF.

Sorry for the long winded question.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, just as I am finishing off this, the ipad is attempting to load up a webpage? and it seems to be only 1/3rd of the way through only, and not loading anymore? then comes the cannot connect to the wifi.
Although the wifi unit, and ipad wifi signal bars shows that it is connected?

Jeff

OP
O

Omegaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Miketoolz sorted it for me!

I can't thank mike enough for his time and expertise in sorting my wifi issues out.
He basically changed the network security to a better one, and changed the channel to a different one. Hope I've got it right.
Because the next door neighbours strong wifi signals, interfered with mine.

Sometimes it works, was probably when they weren't using the Internet.
And that explains why both visits to the O2 store, works!

It's blisteringly fast now.

I hope this is useful for others.

Jeff

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Local interference can be a nuisance at times. I'm lucky that I kept my old scanner as Apple have pulled them from the store.

Was at a friends house the other day and it logged 11 wifis all within range.
If your running win7 theres a free program called inSSIDer which will list local wifis, channels, strength etc.. Useful for checking if you need to change settings.
There should be a Mac equivalent but I'm not aware of it.

Well done Mike btw.

saulrhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm experiencing the same problem... what exactly did mike do and how did he go about changing the radio frequency on the huawei?

S7EWAR7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I dont have an iPad (anyone wishing to donate one, please do!) but have had a serious problem with my Mifi and laptop... and the post above solved it.

For the past few days Ive been unable to connect my laptop to my 3 Network mobile Mifi. Seemed to happen when I installed Service Pack 1 for windows 7 --- so undid that. No Joy. Re-did it. No joy. Scoured the internet for fixes and came across this post... Was able to use the Mifi dongle if I USB'd it to my laptop but felt annoyed as its meant to be Mifi not just a dongle!!!

the answer and fix was so simple and obvious I totally over looked it (despite growing up with a love of computers). ITS A SIGNAL JAM! :mad:

On top of my tv beside my desk is a "magic eye" AV signal sender (the SKY tv gets piped into one room and transmitted to another). Had it there for months and no trouble with Mifi or any other signal. I pulled the plug and presto... full access via Mifi to the net. It did work before, but now the AV Sender & Mifi dont like one-another. At least now I know its not my laptop and its not the Mifi dongle that are faulty.

(forgive the narative, it will hopefully help anyone googling this)

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aargh! I live in the NE Scotland too - maybe it was my fault!!

What lovely weather we've had for the past few days - can't believe it!!

Tim
Scotland

thewadders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you direct me to Miketoolz fix for this as I am having the same issue. Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts