What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mifi storage data on ipad2

pfitz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently bought a Huawei E585 wireless modem to use with my wifi ipad2. I have put a 32gb memory card in the mifi and copied a few movies onto it from my Mac. How do I now play those movies on my iPad? *I have logged into the 3 website which shows data usage etc & can see the movie files that I have put on the memory card - but when I select one it will not upload or play on my iPad. What am I doing wrong?...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've read a couple reviews on the device, and there is nothing in the description that suggests you can do this. At the most, it says you can see files, not upload or download them to the card. It's unclear how you would even see the files. Here is the article that mentioned this. The other article mentioned the SDcard, but said nothing else.

Three Mi-Fi Mobile Wi-Fi (Huawei E585) review - Pocket-lint

Type in 3.home and you get whisked away to a panel that shows you information like data usage, text messages, your account details, and for some reason shortcuts to your favourite sites like Twitter and Facebook. You also get a second graphical display of battery life and connectivity info.

It's also through here that you get access to your microSD memory card, if you have one installed in the device, and through the system you can share files with any of the other four users (five can use the device at once) on the network.

That's handy if you aren't already signed up to services like Dropbox, for example. And yes, you can view those files on devices like the Apple iPad, although uploading and downloading is not possible.

Only a few wi-fi storage devices work on the iPad (as storage), and they almost always need their own app (or jailbreaking) to work. I see no app for this device in the App Store.

rwilts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pfitz,

i bought the same device some months ago with the intention of using it as you describe. Lots of searching around and i came to the conclusion that you cant. I was thinking it would act like an Airstash but it doesn't.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pfitz,

i bought the same device some months ago with the intention of using it as you describe. Lots of searching around and i came to the conclusion that you cant. I was thinking it would act like an Airstash but it doesn't.

Airstash has a companion app, without which it wouldn't work either. iOS does not have the ability to recognize external storage, other than the very limited Camera Connection Kit that will let you import pictures and (sometimes) video. You have to use an app.

Though, I'm wondering, if the device supplies an IP address for the storage, maybe you could get at it through an app like GoodReader. Might be worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

OP
P

pfitz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pfitz,

Thanks for all your replies. I think I may have found a solution... I initially transferred the movies as .mp4 files, this didn't work. I have now copied a couple of .avi movie clips to the card & they open on my iPad via a PDF reader that I have installed as an app.

I can also access photos that I have copied onto the card without an problems, so happy days :)

Most reactions

Latest posts