What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage

Stormborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to help! It's also a media player so you can play mp3s, share to another iPod, phone, pad via Bluetooth. Very awesome file sharing options. Also can watch some movie formats on it.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will transfer files from a twonky/dlna server?

My mifi has got the above and I've got a 16gb SDHC card in it. Hoping to stream files from it to this but I'm not sure this will do it (and the dev website is a little sparse lol)

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes there is a way to hook up an external drive. Check out hyperdrive.com. Looks pretty good to me.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mini_mi said:
Yes there is a way to hook up an external drive. Check out hyperdrive.com. Looks pretty good to me.

I like the "work around" with their 32gig segments, but I think this drive works only with photos and videos. So if you have a lot and want them readily available, this might be a good solution. Unfortunately, you can only transfer files from the drive to the iPad, but not from the iPad to the drive.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Long as we're (sort of) on the subject, if I plug a standard thumbdrive into the USB port of my wireless router, will the iPad pick it up as a usable storage device on wifi without any jailbreaking? Like, as an alternative to a hard drive?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Long as we're (sort of) on the subject, if I plug a standard thumbdrive into the USB port of my wireless router, will the iPad pick it up as a usable storage device on wifi without any jailbreaking? Like, as an alternative to a hard drive?

I don' think so...you might be able to do it with the right app, though.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhevans_6 said:
Does anyone know if this will transfer files from a twonky/dlna server?

My mifi has got the above and I've got a 16gb SDHC card in it. Hoping to stream files from it to this but I'm not sure this will do it (and the dev website is a little sparse lol)

I found an answer to my question: mediaconnect and flexplayer. Both free, work together and just streamed an mpg from my nas I know isn't in a compatible apple format :)

samiedema

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Goflex Satellate from Seagate to store all my videos and movies, it works very well with the Seagate App.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the Hyperdrive iFlashDrive (https://www.hypershop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=210)? Billed as the only thumbdrive that can move data between iOS and a PC. Only reviews of Hyperdrive products I've seen are on Amazon for their hard drives, and these reviews are scathing - no documentation, complex setup and operation, lots of apps to pay for and download, no customer support, etc. They're advertising the iFlashDrive heavily, so I thought maybe somebody out there has one??

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Big samm said:
Like others said the wireless goflex from seagate is a good choice!

Sent from my iPad 4G

You recommend this device, so I'm going to ask you this question that I have not found an answer. When I rip a DVD to watch on my laptop, all I have to do is run a media player and the program saves it to my laptop and I can watch it later. The same thing for my DVD movies that I buy from the Internet. In order for me to get it to my iPad, which I really don't want to do, can I just point my media player to rip the DVD to the Goflex drive?

I tried the conversion route where I rip a DVD, convert it an iPad format and then synch it to the iPad. I want to eliminate that middle conversion step. Which seems to take as long as ripping the DVD in the first place! Due to limited space I also do not want to download it the iPad.

Thanks for your help.

Stormborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as its an mp4 yea. Just rename the extension to m4v to make it apple friendly. I think the goflex will play mp4s straight up.

Most reactions

Latest posts