What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage on External Hard Drive

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going on a trip soon and would like to have more TV shows from iTunes than i can get on my 64g iPad. ( I won't have WiFi available) Is there a way to download programs from iTunes and store them on an external drive (1TB) and then access them as needed to my iPad?
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am going on a trip soon and would like to have more TV shows from iTunes than i can get on my 64g iPad. ( I won't have WiFi available) Is there a way to download programs from iTunes and store them on an external drive (1TB) and then access them as needed to my iPad?

Well, in addition to the advice already given, there are 'wireless' devices that create their personal 'Wi-Fi' networks and communicate w/ the iPad via a proprietary app - take a look at this LINK - POST#6 that I left late last year in the forum - concentrate on the two devices shown (screen capture of same below) - both can store data (including images/movies) on SD cards, establish their own wireless networks, and communicate through an app on the iPad - since that posting others have come out w/ similar devices, e.g. see the Amazon listing HERE generated by entering 'wireless storage iPad' - good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 6.53.29 PM.png

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks
Looked at one on Amazon and it says movies cannot be transferred due to Digital Rights Management
Is this just a disclaimer or for real?
If it does work how do I transfer tv shows to it from iTunes and will the iPad recognize it as an external device?
Thanks
RAM

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks
Looked at one on Amazon and it says movies cannot be transferred due to Digital Rights Management
Is this just a disclaimer or for real? If it does work how do I transfer tv shows to it from iTunes and will the iPad recognize it as an external device?

Hello again - the devices shown previously create a 'personal Wi-Fi' network and each has a proprietary app for iOS to communicate w/ the device; e.g. I put a SD card (from my old camera) into the FileHub and connected to my iPad - the two pics below show the home screen and the contents of the SD card; as shown, there are separate selections for music, photos, and movies.

Concerning your question of transferring TV shows or movies from iTunes, I do not use iTunes for movies or TV shows (have a Roku device and mainly stream from Amazon & Netflix), so cannot really answer - I've tested photos and music on the device w/o an issue.

Now, DRM is indeed real, especially for movies (not sure about TV shows) - see quote below and checkout the LINK - I believe that Apple abides by these rules for their video offerings via iTunes - hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ more direct experience. Of course, there are ways to remove DRM from commercial video media, but in the USA this is not legal and this forum will not support such practices. I own over 700 commercial DVDs/BDs and unlike w/ my CDs (which I can rip to MP3 or copy), I have to take the physical video discs w/ me on a trip if the hotel/condo room has a DVD/BD player and we want to watch a film or several.

The potential of publishers and copyright owners to lock their content away from lawful owners and users is troublesome because the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") includes provisions that make it illegal for ANY consumer to override DRM technologies that may interfere with lawful access or use to a digital work. This means that if publishers and copyright owners implement restrictive DRM measures, lawful consumers will be unable to control digital software they buy, including CDs and DVDs.
IMG_7184.PNG
IMG_7185.PNG

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman,
THANKS!! Really appreciate your help. Your presence and others makes this forum indispensable and fun.
However, I am still unsure (not very technically able) of how to get a TV show or a movie onto the card and then how to get the iPad to "see" it so I can play the TV show from the card.
Currently I just download to my iPad and delete when done to free up more space.
I would love to do what you suggest but am unsure how to do it.
I don't know if this would help others but if you can clarify the process of getting the shows onto the card and then how to get the iPad to access it I would be most grateful.
Thanks,
RAM

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman,
THANKS!! Really appreciate your help. Your presence and others makes this forum indispensable and fun.
However, I am still unsure (not very technically able) of how to get a TV show or a movie onto the card and then how to get the iPad to "see" it so I can play the TV show from the card.
Currently I just download to my iPad and delete when done to free up more space.
I would love to do what you suggest but am unsure how to do it.
I don't know if this would help others but if you can clarify the process of getting the shows onto the card and then how to get the iPad to access it I would be most grateful.

Hi again RAM - as mentioned before, I do not use iTunes for movies and TV shows so really have no experience using the FileHub+ for that purpose; also keep in mind that for visual media, the iTunes Store uses DRM which likely prohibits movement of these video files off an iDevice to a SD card, as is used w/ the FileHub+ device.

But to test, I just downloaded 2 'free' TV episodes from the iTunes Store to my iPad which appear in the Video app (see first pic below) - these play fine on the iPad. To use the FileHub+, the first step is to connect to its personal wireless network (see second pic - select the arrowed option); then open the FileHub+ app on the iPad (third pic) - when the app is running, switching between the SD card in the hub vs. the iPad can be done (fourth pic); however, when I selected 'Videos' in the app and then switched to the iPad, the 2 TV series on the iPad were not seen - I suspect that Apple's DRM is preventing their appearance for transfer to the SD card (see the last pic from RAVPower website stating the issue w/ Apple & DRM in their FAQs on the FileHub+).

Thus, if iTunes is the only site you are using to DL TV episodes, then the FileHub+ will likely not work for their offerings - now, whether there are other external wireless devices and/or other download sites of TV media, I don't know - sorry. Dave :)
IMG_7205.PNG
IMG_7200.PNG
IMG_7201.PNG
IMG_7203.PNG
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 1.49.39 PM.png

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks for all the work you did on this.
I hate to say it but I guess I'll buy a cheap Fire tablet and get the shows from Amazon. I know they have room for a micro SD card up to 128GB so I can get alot of videos on that.
Again, thanks so much
Richard

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks for all the work you did on this.
I hate to say it but I guess I'll buy a cheap Fire tablet and get the shows from Amazon. I know they have room for a micro SD card up to 128GB so I can get alot of videos on that.
Again, thanks so much
Richard

Hi Richard - no problem - :) Gave me a chance to learn more about the FileHub+ - neat little device which should work as advertised but defeated by Apple's DRM policies. Hope that your other option above works out for you - good luck. Dave

Most reactions