What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staying informed

sailinpete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I retired several years ago. After 40 plus years in the computer field I find progress almost overwhelming in just the short time since I left. I still hold fast to the belief that a computer is a tool not an entertainment device,sorry. I upgrade my system about every 2~3 years. Although I own a laptop I rarely use it. My basic use for the PC is digital photography. Internet shopping, research and news are second. I use I tunes to control my Ipod but not to listen to music. I also use it to chart navagation courses for my boat.

Now, here is my question. Why should I consider an Ipad? This question relates to my frequent travel. I want to have email access, weather, internet, maps and possibly charting. I prefer simplicity not quantity. Will WiFi be sufficient? I don't use 3G now. Cost/performance is an issue. I don't like bells and whistles that provide no value. Style is not function.
Thanks

PS: I once owned an Apple 2e, Original Machintosh, Mac II & Quadra. Software compatibility in the Corporate World drove me to PC

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

You gotta be in your 60's, right? Well the biggest advantage to you might simply be the size of the display!

Another advantage over an iPod is the battery life. Theoretically, you can get up to 10 hours of life between charges and I have found this to be pretty much the case. Of course, YMMV!

If you are getting along OK w/o 3g now, then the WiFi only version should be OK for you. OTOH, if you MUST have Internet connectivity when you are on your boat, then you might want to consider the 3g version. The nice thing about the 3g version is that there are no long term contracts. You buy your service a month at a time and that's it and at least you will have it as an option if you ever need it.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,

I used to tote my heavy Dell on all my trips. I don't do that anymore. I se my iPad for all travel-business and fun. I have the 32g wifi version and only a few occasions I have not had good connections. My next iPad will be 3G but that also depends on whether I decide to pick up the new Virgin Mobile mifi. The iPad seems like it would be a great device for your needs. Good luck.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two things: ten hours or more of battery life at least, and instant on. If you don't want to consider all of the other things that the iPad can do, think about that. While standing in line at the airport, one click and your viewing your email. Instantly. Or one click by a customer and your showing you latest brochure in PDF on an incredibly sexy device. That has value in business, even for the most jaded "been there, done that" technology user.

The Internet browsing (except for Flash, which honestly isn't a big deal) is simply amazing - on the couch at home, not hiding behind a computer, still as a member of the family.

The video, gaming, reading and other leisure activities are amazing. You have to experience it to believe it.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, the maps application is great for travel. Sick of eating rice on the road in Asia? No problem.

f5171e79.png

OP
S

sailinpete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better Informed

Thanks everyone. The combined responses answer my most important concern. Is the IPAD a serious tool. It appears it's up to the user. Who knows, maybe I'll discover that some of the Aps can be fun. After all, I do drive a Scion XB with low profile tires. So I'm not above being different. My plate is HPTBSQ;)

Pete

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'll love the iPad. It is a serious tool with serious fun built in.

If you wanted to be connected to the world while on you're boat, I'd say get the 3G. Otherwise you'll have to find free wifi when you get back on land if you get the wifi-only model. However that won't stop you from using the iPad when there's no wifi around. You can still play games, read books, watch movies, edit your photos, etc.

And since you say digital photography is one thing you use your PC for, may I suggest a Camera Connection Kit to go along with your iPad so you can upload your photos to your iPad...and then get Photogene from the AppStore to edit your photos on the iPad. I also use Photogene to make maps for my offline use (I have a wifi-only iPad): I take a screen shot of my route in the default Maps application, then in Photogene I label the map screenshot and add other info I need. Very convenient when I have several maps along my route and I don't have wifi available.

Most reactions

Latest posts