What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sprint overdrive 4g vs MIFI for personal hotspot

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one of these. I like the fact that it's not device specific so I can just use it with whatever I device I need to carry that day. The only drawback is battery life from what I can tell. I'm thinking more for out of town travel than daily needs.

Has anyone tried both? Looking for the pros and cons of each. Sprint has faster speed, they do have 4g where I am now. And they seem to have a better fee structure. I don't like verizon's data limits. I haven't been able to find out if I pay full price if I can get it without a contract and turn it on and off at will as needed.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think having a separate device (and contract/fee) would suck. Why not get a phone that can do wifi tethering?

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would consider the overdrive as the more malleable product because it can always fall back to 3g. I wonder if iphone hotspots are a possiblility in the near future?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the Sprint Sierra 3G/4G MiFi and love it. I don't have 4G in my area yet so can't give opinion on that service. I had a Palm Pro and was tethering that to my laptop and when I got my iPad I had to do something. I was paying $25 monthly for the Internet access with my Palm, the MiFi service is $60 Month so I'm actUally paying $35 more monthly. This is what I would have paid AT&T for their 3G service for the iPad. But now, for the same monthly cost, I have access for 5 devices... This is a no brain decision.

emilyjane918

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why apple always think about money rather than customer satisfaction? Their product is always costly.

OP
R

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think having a separate device (and contract/fee) would suck. Why not get a phone that can do wifi tethering?

I refuse to give up my iphone.
Then this makes perfect sense. You are already paying a data fee. Why pay another? Just wifi thether that iphone, and use it to connect your devices. Saving you $60/m.

No it doesn't make perfect sense, while the iphone is being used a hotspot device it turns off the phone call capability. Additionally the people I know that have tried it are only getting 2-3 hours of battery life on their phone while it's being used as a hotspot.

I decided the best solution was to just get the 3G and give this wifi ipad to my daughter, as my sig says.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it doesn't make perfect sense, while the iphone is being used a hotspot device it turns off the phone call capability. Additionally the people I know that have tried it are only getting 2-3 hours of battery life on their phone while it's being used as a hotspot.

That's my thought as well. In addition you will have the benefit, that you can put the Mifi to a place, where the reception for 3G will be optimal.

Just imagine yourself being in a hotel room, trying to get online via 3G and the only possible spot in the room is next to the window......

Do you really want to spend 5 hours uncomfortable, just because you can't get a connection.......

I don't.

And that's why I ordered my Mifi.

OP
R

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with my 3G connection with AT&T. Hotels are the least of my worries, I always stay at ones that have free wifi and I've never had a problem connecting, I want connection when I'm on the road, out and about without having to find an open hotspot.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those hotels that offer the free wifi are going by the wayside. Before too long there will be a fee associated with the wifi at all hotels except the most expensive ones.

Cya

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I think is the other way around. Wifi is becoming more mainstream that offering free wifi is way of attracting business to people.

LPH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the Spring Overdrive and can connect the iPad while in my classroom. It makes for a great desktop companion while I teach, however, the cost is a bit extreme. The real satisfaction is that up to 5 devices can be connected...

OP
R

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those hotels that offer the free wifi are going by the wayside. Before too long there will be a fee associated with the wifi at all hotels except the most expensive ones.

Cya

My personal experience is the complete opposite of that. We used to always have to pay to get access and now free wifi is quite common.

Most reactions

Latest posts