What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spellcheck

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i wonder if any other users notice Spellcheck over correcting since latest update.lbefore U even finish a word it substitutes it's own.lol

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i wonder if any other users notice Spellcheck over correcting since latest update.lbefore U even finish a word it substitutes it's own.lol
I certainly have. While you can dismiss the auto-correction before it changes the word, the only way to stop it permanently is to go to Settings>General>Keyboards>Auto-Correction and turn the switch off.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that but I make too many typos to turn it off completely. It has it's good points, just seems overly ambitious lately.lol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I turn auto-correct off, but leave spell checking on. That leaves the mistakes with a red underline, so I can go back and fix them myself. I can tap on the mistakes and get a suggestion, and much of the time it's what I wanted.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That seems to make sense. Will try it.. Are those suggested words at bottom part of auto correct? They can come in handy.lol

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, i think those are predictives. Left spell check on but turned off auto correct so well see. Txs for the tip.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

And yes, the predictive text at the top of the keyboard is different from the spell check that underlines incorrect words. Hold in mind that spell check doesn't always work perfectly. I've had it underline correctly spelled words (usually contractions) and ignore a few incorrectly spelled ones. But mostly it works.

Predictive text can be used a bit like spell check. If you double tap a word to select it, you'll see alternate spellings and/or choices in the predictive text. You can tap them to replace the word if you see it. Tapping the Replace option in the popup menu may or may not offer different choices.

It's also a quick way to capitalize a word if you forgot. Double tap the word to select it, tap the shift key, then select the now capitalized version from the predictive text choices. You can ALL CAPS a word or acronym the same way. Double tap the shift key to put in in caps lock mode. The predictive text choices will be all caps.

In the end, the main reason I turn off auto-correct is that I prefer any mistakes to be my mistakes. Besides, my mistakes are the usual, normal, stupid human mistakes, not the crazy substitutions auto-correct occasionally comes up with. :)

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wanted to turn off auto correct and did but then the auto caps didn't work so had to enable it to get back I for i ..know what I mean?
Just don't know why predictives words at bottom are not coming up anymore. Is it me or latest upgrade?
Txs for all the info on caps, but knew about double tapping cap key, not shift to get ALL CAPS.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guess I didn't understand predictive as I thought they were the suggested words at the bottom that I no longer see.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Btw I saw those predictive words at bottom of page

Maybe cuz my iPad is in landscape mode.
Cannot get rid of italics now

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They are not at the bottom of the page, but rather at the top of the keyboard. I posted some images and more explanation in the other Sentences thread you posted in. I got confused.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have been seeing suggested word on top of word, and then seems I have to tap bottom bar, shift key? To get it...not the word itself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are are talking about?

Are you talking about the predictions at the top of the keyboard, or the suggestions you get when tapping an red underlined word? Those appear in a pop-up menu.

OP
BettiBz

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm talking the suggestions that come up while ur typing. Mine come up under the word,not just the ones with red lines, which are for spellcheck, I think.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe this will clear things up as to what is predictive text and what is spellcheck. I may have been confusing you about auto-correct too. It's changed since the predictive text came along.

If you have predictive text turned on the autocorrect suggestions show up in the predictive text line. When predictive text is turned off they show up as they used to, as blue suggestions under the words.

The main differences between predictive text and autocorrect is that predictive text never corrects. It only tries to predict what the rest of the word (or next word) will be. And you have to tap the word for it to be replaced.

With spell checking it will start offering alternate words when it doesn't see a correct one, and it will use that alternate word if you tap the space key. The only way to avoid the alternate word is to finish typing (correctly) the entire word, or tap the little x in the suggestion.

That's why it's so annoying. If you want to type a word that is not recognized then you have to tap that little 'x'.

One way to tell if both auto-correct and predictive text are on at the same time is that the middle word in the predictive text bar will turn blue if it is offering a correction, as opposed to a prediction.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424663071.149586.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424663084.031079.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424663886.268961.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts